I'm trying to come up with a good Ramsey Theory question (details)

• Thread starter jdinatale
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation revolves around using Ramsey Theory to ask questions about tilings and tessellations. The main question is how many elements are needed to guarantee a certain property, and the conversation explores different ways to represent graphs and tilings and the challenges of finding interesting questions in this area.
jdinatale
I have this really cool idea of asking Ramsey Theory questions on tilings (tessellations).

Classical Ramsey theory asks what is the minimum number of people one needs to invite to a party in order to have that every person knows m mutual friends or n mutual strangers.

I was thinking about coloring a tiling red and blue and asking similar questions, but I'm not sure what would be interesting. I have thought about this for a couple of weeks.

Basically, Ramsey Theory is simply asking "how many elements of some structure must there be to guarantee that a particular property will hold?"

I'm just not sure how to come up with an interesting question!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What - like "what is the minimum number of colors of tile needed so you can cover a surface so that no two adjacent tiles share the same color?" But something that requires students to exploit tesselation ideas?

OR: "How many trainee chefs in a kitchen before Ramsey is guaranteed to throw a wobbler?"
... ah... wrong Ramsey...

The most elmentary questions are whether there is some way to represent graphs as tilings and vice-versa.

It seems clear than any colored tiling could be represented as a colored graph by using an edge connection between two nodes to represent two tiles sharing a common side. That representation would not capture the property of two tiles only sharing a common vertex. Is there a graph that also represents that property?

And given a colored graph, can it be represented as a tiling? I suppose that requires a rigorous definition of what a tiling is.

The question I had, which didn't work, is this: Given positive integers m and n, does there exist a tiling such that for ANY two-coloring of the tiling, every tile has m friends OR n strangers. (In this case two tiles are friends if they are adjacent and share a color and strangers if they are adjacent and do not share a color)

But it doesn't work because even starting with the extremely basic equilateral triangle tiling, and low numbers such as m = 2, and n = 3, we always find counterexamples.

Simon Bridge said:
What - like "what is the minimum number of colors of tile needed so you can cover a surface so that no two adjacent tiles share the same color?" But something that requires students to exploit tesselation ideas?

OR: "How many trainee chefs in a kitchen before Ramsey is guaranteed to throw a wobbler?"
... ah... wrong Ramsey...

I'm pretty sure the answer to the first question is four via the four color map theorem, no?

Stephen Tashi said:
The most elmentary questions are whether there is some way to represent graphs as tilings and vice-versa.

It seems clear than any colored tiling could be represented as a colored graph by using an edge connection between two nodes to represent two tiles sharing a common side. That representation would not capture the property of two tiles only sharing a common vertex. Is there a graph that also represents that property?

And given a colored graph, can it be represented as a tiling? I suppose that requires a rigorous definition of what a tiling is.

The answer to the second question I'm guessing is no because what if you had a colored, say K_6. I don't think it would be possible to have all 6 tiles adjacent to every other tile at once. I will think about it.

One possible Ramsey Theory question related to tilings could be: What is the minimum number of tiles needed to guarantee that every possible tiling of a given shape contains at least one tile of each color (red and blue)? This question would be similar to the classic Ramsey problem, but applied to tilings instead of people and friendships. It could also be extended to consider different shapes and colors, adding more complexity to the problem. Additionally, exploring the relationship between the number of tiles and the number of colors needed to guarantee the property could also be an interesting avenue for further investigation.

What is Ramsey Theory?

Ramsey Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the emergence of order and patterns in seemingly random structures.

How is Ramsey Theory applied in real life?

Ramsey Theory has many practical applications, such as in computer science, social sciences, and even in designing efficient networks and communication systems.

What makes a good Ramsey Theory question?

A good Ramsey Theory question should be well-defined, concise, and have a specific goal or outcome. It should also be challenging and have potential for further research and applications.

What are some common techniques used in solving Ramsey Theory problems?

Some common techniques used in solving Ramsey Theory problems include combinatorial arguments, probabilistic methods, and graph theory.

How does Ramsey Theory relate to other areas of mathematics?

Ramsey Theory has connections to many other areas of mathematics, such as number theory, topology, and logic. It also has applications in various fields, including physics, biology, and economics.