I'm stuck on a matrix multiplication problem

In summary: I don't think I can really help you. from the problems you posted it seems like you are supposed to already know how to do this. perhaps you should go back through your textbook and reread the sections on matrix multiplication, transpose, and inverse. these proofs don't require any fancy tricks, just basic algebra. for example, (cA)^p = c^p A^p follows from the fact that cA = cIE where I is the identity matrix and E is the matrix where every entry is 1. now you can use associativity and the fact that I^n = I. that's more or less the whole problem. the others are similar.
nietzsche

Homework Statement

If AB = BA and p is a nonnegative integer, show that (AB)^p = (A^p)(B^p)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

I would love to attempt a solution, but I don't even know where to begin. I guess my first question is, how can I generalize matrices so that AB = BA? And why is it important that AB = BA?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not generalizing matrices. The problem means, suppose you have two particular matrices, called A and B, and for these two particular matrices, it happens to be the case that AB = BA. Now, you are supposed to show that (AB)^p = A^p B^p.

It might help to first try a specific example, p=2.

Avodyne said:
You're not generalizing matrices. The problem means, suppose you have two particular matrices, called A and B, and for these two particular matrices, it happens to be the case that AB = BA. Now, you are supposed to show that (AB)^p = A^p B^p.

It might help to first try a specific example, p=2.

thanks for the reply. i find this kind of weird...so is it...

(AB)^p
= ABABAB...AB
= A(BA)(BA)(BA)...(BA)B
= A(AB)(AB)(AB)...(AB)B
= AA(BA)(BA)...(BA)BB
= AAA(BA)(BA)...(BA)BBB

and so on? it makes sense to me, but I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it.

Rather than a proof with "..." in the middle, I think you want to do this by mathematical induction. Show that the statement is true for some base case, such as p = 2. Assume that it is true for p = k. Finally show that if it is true for p = k, it must also be true for p = k + 1.

how about an inductive proof?

(AB)^2 = (AB)(AB) = A(BA)B = A(AB)B = (A^2)(B^2)

assume that (AB)^p = (A^p)(B^p).

(AB)^(p+1) = (AB)^p (AB)
= (A^p)(B^p)(AB)
= (A^p)(B^p)(BA)
= (A^p)(B^p+1)(A)
not sure where to go from here. am i allowed to just move that last (AB) into the middle?

thanks mark, i got your reply while i was typing this.

i'm really confused now. the next couple of homework questions i have are:

If p is a nonnegative integer and c is a scalar, show that (cA)^p = c^p A^p.

For a square matrix A and a nonnegative integer p, show that (A^T)^p = (A^p)^T.

For a nonsingular matrix A and a nonnegative integer p, show that (A^p)^-1 = (A^-1)^p.

For a nonsingular matrix A and nonzero scalar k, show that (kA)^-1 = (1/k)(A^-1).

i'm frustrated because my textbook tells me practically nothing about A^p and A^-1. my instructor didn't go over it much either. we basically just did problems with concrete numbers in class, no proofs.

well, if anyone has any hints, i'd really appreciate it. otherwise, I'm just going to keep trying to figure it out.

(AB)p + 1 = (AB)pAB = ApBpAB
= ApBp - 1BAB
= ApBp - 1ABB
= ApBp - 1AB2

If I continue this process p - 1 more times, I'll end up with all the A's on one end and all the B's on the other end. At each step I'm using the facts that AB = BA and that matrix multiplication is associative.

That's the best I can come up with at the moment. Maybe someone else in this forum has a better idea.

Mark44 said:
(AB)p + 1 = (AB)pAB = ApBpAB
= ApBp - 1BAB
= ApBp - 1ABB
= ApBp - 1AB2

If I continue this process p - 1 more times, I'll end up with all the A's on one end and all the B's on the other end. At each step I'm using the facts that AB = BA and that matrix multiplication is associative.

That's the best I can come up with at the moment. Maybe someone else in this forum has a better idea.

Thank you.

nietzsche said:
i'm really confused now. the next couple of homework questions i have are:

If p is a nonnegative integer and c is a scalar, show that (cA)^p = c^p A^p.

For a square matrix A and a nonnegative integer p, show that (A^T)^p = (A^p)^T.

For a nonsingular matrix A and a nonnegative integer p, show that (A^p)^-1 = (A^-1)^p.

For a nonsingular matrix A and nonzero scalar k, show that (kA)^-1 = (1/k)(A^-1).

i'm frustrated because my textbook tells me practically nothing about A^p and A^-1. my instructor didn't go over it much either. we basically just did problems with concrete numbers in class, no proofs.

well, if anyone has any hints, i'd really appreciate it. otherwise, I'm just going to keep trying to figure it out.
For a nonnegative integer p, Ap = AA...A where there are p factors of A.
A-1 is read as "A inverse" and that's the reason for the requirement that A be nonsingular, which is the same as saying that A has an inverse. It is implicit that A is a square matrix. For a nonsingular or invertible matrix A, AA-1 = A-1A = I, the identity matrix, a matrix with 1s down the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. If A is n x n, I has to be the n x n identity matrix.

You didn't ask, but just to be complete, AT is the transpose of A, a matrix obtained by switching the rows and the columns.

Being that all these problems have some matrix raised to the power p, induction proofs are called for.

Mark44 said:
For a nonnegative integer p, Ap = AA...A where there are p factors of A.
A-1 is read as "A inverse" and that's the reason for the requirement that A be nonsingular, which is the same as saying that A has an inverse. It is implicit that A is a square matrix. For a nonsingular or invertible matrix A, AA-1 = A-1A = I, the identity matrix, a matrix with 1s down the main diagonal and 0s everywhere else. If A is n x n, I has to be the n x n identity matrix.

You didn't ask, but just to be complete, AT is the transpose of A, a matrix obtained by switching the rows and the columns.

Being that all these problems have some matrix raised to the power p, induction proofs are called for.

tyvm, that helps a lot.

Related to I'm stuck on a matrix multiplication problem

1. How do I know which numbers to multiply in a matrix multiplication problem?

In a matrix multiplication problem, you always multiply the numbers in the corresponding rows and columns. For example, if you have a 2x3 matrix and a 3x4 matrix, you will multiply the numbers in the first row of the first matrix with the numbers in the first column of the second matrix.

2. What do I do if the matrices have different dimensions?

If the matrices have different dimensions, you cannot perform matrix multiplication. Make sure that the number of columns in the first matrix is equal to the number of rows in the second matrix.

3. What is the purpose of matrix multiplication?

Matrix multiplication allows us to combine and manipulate multiple sets of data. It is commonly used in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science to solve complex problems and analyze data.

4. Is there a specific order in which I should multiply the matrices?

Yes, matrix multiplication is not commutative, meaning that the order in which you multiply the matrices matters. In general, you should multiply the matrices from left to right, but make sure to check the specific instructions or problem you are working on.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving matrix multiplication problems?

There are some techniques, such as the distributive property, that can help simplify matrix multiplication problems. However, the best way to solve these problems is to carefully follow the rules and steps of matrix multiplication to ensure accuracy.