I'm over-complicating thermal equilibrium HELP PLEASE.

In summary, a 2kg block of ice at -20°C is placed in contact with a large amount of liquid water at 0°C. The final equilibrium temperature is 0°C, and the amount of heat absorbed by the ice is 82kJ. The final mass of ice at equilibrium is 2.245kg. The specific heat of water is 4186 J and the specific heat of ice is 2050J. The enthalpy of melting for ice is 334 kJ/kg.
Ant64

Homework Statement

A 2kg block of ice initially at T = −20 ◦C is put in contact with a very large amount of liquid water at T = 0 ◦C (by “very large amount” we imply that by the time ice and water reach thermal equilibrium, there will still be some liquid water left). Ice and water can exchange heat just with each other but not with the environment. The specific heat of water is 4186 J and of ice is 2050J.
1)final equilibrium
2)amount of heat absorbed by the ice in the process
3)final mass of the ice at equilibrium

Homework Equations

deltaEbond + deltaEthermal = Q + W
deltaEthermal = m•Csp•deltaT
deltaEbond=|deltamass•deltaH|
deltaH(meltin, ice)=6.01kJ/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

My first guess is that the equilibrium temperature is 0ºC, because we're to assume that water is still present.

assuming that's correct could I then use deltaEthermal = m•Csp•deltaT = 2kg • 2050J/kg•K • (0ºC-(-20ºC)) = 82kJ
and then, assuming that all the ice melts, calculate deltaEbond = |(mf - mi)•deltaH(melting, ice)| = |(0kg - 2kg)•6.01| = 12.02kJ

then, since Q=deltaEthermal + delta Ebond, Q = 82kJ + 12.02kJ = 96.02kJ

But I had to assume there was enough E to melt all the ice to calculate this... and one of the questions asks to calculate the amount of ice left!

I feel fairly stupid for not being able to do this, I think I'm waaaaaaaay over-complicating it. Thanks internet!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is enough water, so there will be some liquid water at the end of the process -at 0°C! From where does the ice get heat to warm up to 0°C? What happens to 0°C water if you take away some heat of it? Can the ice melt? So what happens to the water?

Take care on the data: deltaH(melting, ice)=334 kJ/kg.

ehild

Sorry, I had deltaH in moles.

So I see what you're saying; all the heat that goes to warming the ice to 0ºC comes from the water, which in turn freezes portions of it. So step one, calculate the energy it takes to raise 2kg of ice to 0ºC, then negate that answer and set it equal to the bond energy of freezing a certain amount of water and solve for the difference. This is how much ice is added to the 2Kg block of ice.

deltaE(thermal,ice) = (2kg)•(2050J/kg•K • (0ºC-(-20ºC)) = 82kJ
deltaE(bond, water) = -82kJ = (mi - mf)•334kg => -.245kg = mf - mi
m(ice, final) = 2kg + .245kg = 2.245kg of ice at equilibrium

I hope that's right.

Correct!

ehild

Related to I'm over-complicating thermal equilibrium HELP PLEASE.

1. What is thermal equilibrium?

Thermal equilibrium is a state in which two or more objects or systems are at the same temperature and there is no net flow of heat between them.

2. Why is thermal equilibrium important?

Thermal equilibrium is important because it allows for the efficient transfer of heat between systems, leading to a balance in temperature and preventing extreme fluctuations. It is also a fundamental concept in thermodynamics and helps us understand how energy is distributed and transferred in a closed system.

3. How do I know if a system is in thermal equilibrium?

A system is in thermal equilibrium when its temperature does not change over time and there is no heat transfer between it and its surroundings. This can be observed by using a thermometer to measure the temperature of the system and its surroundings and ensuring they are the same.

4. What factors affect thermal equilibrium?

The main factors that affect thermal equilibrium are the temperature, heat capacity, and thermal conductivity of the objects or systems involved. The presence of insulating materials or barriers can also affect thermal equilibrium by inhibiting the transfer of heat.

5. How can I simplify my understanding of thermal equilibrium?

To simplify your understanding of thermal equilibrium, it can be helpful to think of it as a state of balance or equalization, where there is no net flow of heat between systems. It can also be useful to visualize the transfer of heat as a flow of energy from hot to cold objects, until they reach the same temperature and thermal equilibrium is achieved.