I'm lost on this one, i think its a torque question.

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a ladder with a mass of 10.0kg leaning against a smooth wall at an angle of 25 degrees. The coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground is 0.30 and the question is how far a 65kg woman can climb up the ladder before it starts to slip. The reasoning involves considering the angles and forces at play, specifically the force of friction and setting up a torque equation. The solution involves identifying all the forces and drawing a diagram.
linuxux
Hello, I'm working on an assignment for class and I am lost on this question.
problem
A 5.0m ladder is with a mass of 10.0kg is leaning against a smooth wall at an angle of 25 degrees. The coefficient of friction between the ladder and the ground is .30. How far can a 65kg woman climb up the ladder before the ladder starts to slip?

reasoning
obviously the angles come into play here, but I'm not sure in what way. Since the force of friction opposes motion, and the bottom of the ladder will move across the ground in a positive direction, the force of friction moves in a negative direction across the ground. I am not sure if the force of friction is just 0.30 x mg or if its 0.30 x mg cos 25 , also, I am not sure how to setup a torque equation, to solve this problem. Some hits would be appreciated, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by identifying all the forces acting on the ladder. Draw yourself a diagram!

thanks got it...

Related to I'm lost on this one, i think its a torque question.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force on an object. It is the product of the distance from the axis of rotation to the point of application of the force, and the magnitude of the force.

2. How is torque measured?

Torque is typically measured in units of newton-meters (N·m) or foot-pounds (ft·lb).

3. What factors affect torque?

The magnitude of the force, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle of application of the force are all factors that affect torque.

4. What is the equation for torque?

The equation for torque is torque = force x distance, or τ = F x d. This equation can also be written as τ = r x F, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and F is the force.

5. How is torque used in real life?

Torque is used in many applications, including engines, motors, and tools. It is also important in sports, such as in the swing of a golf club or the action of a baseball pitcher.