Easy beginner torque/com question. please

• Thread starter martinlematre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beginner
In summary: Thanks for your help though.In summary, the equilibrium of the vertical and horizontal forces on the ladder are not equal. The horizontal force must be larger than the vertical force to keep the ladder from moving.
martinlematre

Homework Statement

A uniform 15kg ladder whose length is 5.0 m stands on the floor and leans against a vertical wall,
making an angle of 25 with the vertical. Assuming that the friction between the ladder and the wall
is negligible, what is the minimum amount of friction between the ladder and the floor which will
keep the ladder from slipping.
(34 N)

Homework Equations

torque = fperp * distance

The Attempt at a Solution

I keep on writing stuff but never get the right answer (which is 1/2 tan theta * mg)
i have no idea how to get there. i keep mapping and drawing FBD and i can't get there... i think its my understanding of torque and not understanding where the pivot point on this ladder is...

anyone care to share

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your work in detail?

ehild

ehild said:
Can you show your work in detail?

ehild

sure 1 sec let me write neatly

okay past this point I am not sure what to do..i assume the force wanting it to slip is Force-> (the horizontal ocmponent of MG) so i try to equate Ff (Friction) to The Force -> (Fparallelsintheta) but i get the answer 68 not 34...

http://i44.tinypic.com/2vmvalg.jpg

i realize my problem lays in the fact i don't know what forces are acting on what and my free body diagram is probably wrong

Last edited:
The ladder is in rest, so the resultant force is zero and the torque is also zero.

You have vertical forces acting on the ladder: mg and FN (from the ground) and horizontal ones: FWN (the normal force from the wall) and the force of static friction, Ff.

How are the magnitudes of these forces related?

The forces have torque. Choose an appropriate point to write it up.

ehild

ehild said:
The ladder is in rest, so the resultant force is zero and the torque is also zero.

You have vertical forces acting on the ladder: mg and FN (from the ground) and horizontal ones: FWN (the normal force from the wall) and the force of static friction, Ff.

How are the magnitudes of these forces related?

The forces have torque. Choose an appropriate point to write it up.

ehild

this doesn't help me =[

You do not need Fparallel. Write up the equilibrium for both the vertical and horizontal forces separately.

Last edited:
ehild said:
You do not need Fparallel. Write up the equilibrium for both the vertical and horizontal forces separately.

my problem is i don't know what forces are where

martinlematre said:
my problem is i don't know what forces are where

See figure. It is identical to your one.

mg acts at the midpoint of the ladder, vertically down. FWN acts at the upper end of the ladder, horizontal, away from wall. N and Ff act at the lower end of the ladder, N vertically up, Ff horizontally, towards the wall, as it is against slipping the ladder outward.

Attachments

• ladderforces.JPG
    ladderforces.JPG
    7.9 KB · Views: 351
2 hr later i am still stuck ty..

The ladder is a rigid body. To be in equilibrium (no motion) the sum of all forces has to be zero both the horizontal and vertical components. Also the torque has to be zero.

Do you see the forces? The ladder can not move vertically, so what forces have to cancel?
It can not move horizontally, so the horizontal forces have to cancel.
It can not rotate about its upper end so the sum of torques is zero.

Can you write up the corresponding equations?

ehild

ehild said:
The ladder is a rigid body. To be in equilibrium (no motion) the sum of all forces has to be zero both the horizontal and vertical components. Also the torque has to be zero.

Do you see the forces? The ladder can not move vertically, so what forces have to cancel?
It can not move horizontally, so the horizontal forces have to cancel.
It can not rotate about its upper end so the sum of torques is zero.

Can you write up the corresponding equations?

ehild
i got it no biggie

So you have solved the problem?

ehild

ehild said:
So you have solved the problem?

ehild

No I've just decided I am going to go into liberal arts instead

Related to Easy beginner torque/com question. please

1. What is torque and how does it relate to beginner com questions?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In the context of beginner com questions, torque is often used to describe the force needed to turn a screw or nut. It is an important concept in mechanics and is often encountered in basic physics and engineering courses.

2. Why is torque important for beginners to understand?

Understanding torque is important for beginners because it is a fundamental concept in physics and engineering. It helps to explain many everyday phenomena, such as why it is easier to open a door by pushing on the handle rather than pulling on it. Additionally, a basic understanding of torque can be useful in practical applications, such as assembling furniture or fixing a bike.

3. What are some common units used to measure torque?

The most commonly used units for torque are newton-meters (Nm) and foot-pounds (ft-lb). Other units, such as inch-pounds (in-lb) and kilogram-force meters (kgf-m), are also sometimes used. These units all measure the amount of force applied at a certain distance from the axis of rotation.

4. How is torque calculated?

Torque is calculated by multiplying the applied force by the distance from the axis of rotation. In mathematical terms, torque (τ) is equal to the force (F) multiplied by the distance (r), or τ = F x r. The direction of the torque can be determined using the right-hand rule, where the fingers of the right hand point in the direction of the force and the thumb points in the direction of the torque.

5. What are some examples of everyday objects that involve torque?

There are many everyday objects that involve torque, such as door handles, wrenches, and screwdrivers. Other examples include steering wheels, bottle openers, and even human joints. In fact, any object that rotates or turns involves some level of torque, making it a concept that is encountered frequently in daily life.