I'm LOST Car is suppose to overtake truck but at what velocity?

In summary, a problem is given where two cars, C and D, are moving in parallel lanes on a straight road. C starts from rest and accelerates at a constant rate. D overtakes C at a constant speed of 6ms-1, and 5 seconds after C begins to move, C overtakes D. The goal is to find C's speed at the instant it overtakes D. Using the equation s=vt-1/2at^2, two equations can be obtained for each car. By relating these equations and finding the areas under the v-t graphs, the solution can be found. However, the equations for the components are causing difficulty for the individual asking for help.
nabet94
I'm LOST! Car is suppose to overtake truck but at what velocity?

two cars C and D move in the same direction in parrallel lanes of a straight road. C starts from rest and begins to move with a constant acceleration. at that instat the C begins to move it is overtaken by D, which is moving with a constant speed of 6ms-1
!) it is given that C's acceleration remains constant the instant it overtakes D. this occurs 5seconds after c begins to move. Find C's speed at the instant when it overtakes D.
now i know i should ignore how D overtook C and i believe that i should use s=vt-1/2at^2 but i don't get a number answer its always a variable with a number please someone help me.

Physics news on Phys.org

Show what you have tried so far.

well i got s=vt-1/2at^2 for C is well s=d and t=T+2 (?) thus it would be d=v(T+2) - .5(a)(T+2)^2 and for D it would be d=6(T)-.5(a)(T)^2.
so it would be 6(T)-.5(a)(T)^2=v(T+2) - .5(a)(T+2)^2 thus i ended up with 6T-vT-2v
+2aT+2a that's it, I'm lost and I'm sure that its wrong

nabet94 said:

Homework Statement

two cars C and D move in the same direction in parrallel lanes of a straight road. C starts from rest and begins to move with a constant acceleration. at that instat the C begins to move it is overtaken by D, which is moving with a constant speed of 6ms-1
!) it is given that C's acceleration remains constant the instant it overtakes D. this occurs 5seconds after c begins to move. Find C's speed at the instant when it overtakes D.
now i know i should ignore how D overtook C and i believe that i should use s=vt-1/2at^2 but i don't get a number answer its always a variable with a number please someone help me

Homework Equations

s=vt-1/2at^2

First of all, write this equation for each of the cars, obtaining two equations. Notice that v is the initial velocity of the cars.

Then, you have to somehow relate the two equations. How would you do so? I have put some of the words of the problem in boldface to give you some ideas.

I had advised sketching the v-t graph for each car and noting that when the two cars draw level the second time, their displacements are equal. Since the displacements are the areas under the graphs this amounts to finding the areas of rectangles and triangles.

That thread has apparently vanished after comment:
nabet94 said:
yeah i know how to find the displacement and such but its just the equations of the components that give me a real hard time
... but there are no components to worry about - all the motion is in 1D.

You won't get a better method description without someone actually doing the problem for you and that is against the rules.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I'm LOST Car is suppose to overtake truck but at what velocity?

1. How do you determine the speed of the car and truck?

The speed of the car and truck can be determined by dividing the distance between them by the time it takes for the car to overtake the truck.

2. Is there a specific formula to calculate the velocity?

Yes, the formula for calculating velocity is velocity = distance / time.

3. Does the weight of the car and truck affect the velocity?

Yes, the weight of the car and truck can affect the velocity. A heavier vehicle may require more time and distance to overtake a lighter vehicle.

4. Can other factors such as wind or road conditions impact the velocity?

Yes, other external factors such as wind or road conditions can affect the velocity of the car and truck. These factors can cause the vehicles to slow down or speed up, thus affecting the time it takes for the car to overtake the truck.

5. What units should be used to express the velocity?

The velocity can be expressed in units of distance per time, such as miles per hour or kilometers per hour.