I'm looking for some interesting calculus/physics problems to do

• Thread starter mcnallyhamster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interesting
In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics student looking for complex projects to work on. A user recommends three texts, "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell & Morin for difficult problems, "Calculus" by Apostol for challenging calculus problems, and "Calculus" by Spivak for more theoretical and advanced exercises. Another user suggests working on the problems in the textbook "Halliday/Resnick" before moving on to other texts.
mcnallyhamster
Hello!

I'm new to physicsforums, and actually I'm kinda new to physics in general. I've recently switched my major to physics in college and I absolutely love it; this is what I've always wanted to do! I would love to do some complex physics/calculus related projects, not really in the sense of making anything, but more so in the sense of doing the math. I've taken general mechanics and am currently in electromagnetism - anything from these areas would be great. Don't worry about it being too difficult! I have to say that for some reason I'm especially interesting in magnetism and gravity, like in space. I don't know why... Anyway, thank you in advance for any suggestions! I've been going through problems in my physics textbook also but I'd love to do something anyone here recommends.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you're into difficult, but interesting problems then I would advice the following three texts:

1) "Electricity and Magnetism" by Purcell & Morin. The newest edition contains a wealth of soul-breaking problems. Don't worry, the exercises are star-coded, so you know beforehand whether a problem is going to be difficult or not.

That said, David Morin (the author of the book) has a website filled with many interesting physics and math questions: https://www.physics.harvard.edu/academics/undergrad/problems It has solutions as well!

2) "Calculus" by Apostol. You think you know calculus well? Apostol has a nice collection of problems which are not as easy as you think. Many require some ingenuity to solve and not just mechanical problem solving that usual calculus classes are famous for.

3) "Calculus" by Spivak. More theoretical and it contains a lot of very difficult exercises. I would say that even a PhD in mathematics might have difficult with some of these. It's a very well-written text though, so it's worth checking out nevertheless.

Enjoy!

You should be able to get a few good hundred hours out of halliday/resnick problems. Id work on at least all the mechanics and em problems in it before looking at purcell and kleppner.

Apostol is great all around for the math.

Related to I'm looking for some interesting calculus/physics problems to do

1. What are some good sources for finding interesting calculus and physics problems?

Some good sources for finding interesting calculus and physics problems include textbooks, online problem banks, and scientific journals. You can also ask your professors or fellow scientists for recommendations.

2. How can I challenge myself with calculus and physics problems?

To challenge yourself with calculus and physics problems, try looking for problems that involve real-world applications or require multiple steps to solve. You can also increase the difficulty by attempting problems with more complex variables or concepts.

3. Can I use calculus and physics problems to improve my problem-solving skills?

Yes, solving calculus and physics problems can greatly improve your problem-solving skills. These problems require logical and analytical thinking, which are valuable skills in any scientific field.

4. Are there any websites that provide step-by-step solutions to calculus and physics problems?

Yes, there are many websites that offer step-by-step solutions to calculus and physics problems. Some popular ones include Wolfram Alpha, Khan Academy, and Chegg. However, it's important to try solving the problem on your own before looking at the solution.

5. How can I make sure I am understanding the concepts behind calculus and physics problems?

To make sure you are understanding the concepts behind calculus and physics problems, it's important to not just memorize formulas and solutions, but to also try to explain the concepts in your own words and apply them to different scenarios. You can also work with a study group or seek help from a tutor or professor if you are struggling to understand a concept.