I'm having major difficulties with partial differentiation using the chain rule

In summary, The conversation discusses a problem involving partial differentiation with multiple variables. The individual is looking for help in applying the tree diagram to obtain u_(ss) and outlines their understanding of the steps from u_s to u_(ss). They mention the use of the chain rule and product rule in the process.
s3a
This is another problem than I've been stuck on for a long time and I tried reading and watching videos but I only find first order partial differentiation with more than two variables or higher order partial differentiation with only two variables. (I'm not calling f a variable but I am calling x and y variables even though they are functions of other variables.)

I am stuck very close to the beginning and am attaching my work as stuck.jpg and have the solution to the problem (which is uploaded as solution.jpg) but I do not understand how to get to u_(ss). Could someone show me how to apply the tree diagram to that?

Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• stuck.jpg
    stuck.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 531
  • solution.jpg
    solution.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 457
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you understand how to obtain u_s? I think that's the more crucial part. Once you know how to get to u_s you should be able to get to u_ss. Just keep in mind that f=f(x,y) as well as f_x=f_x(x,y) and f_y=f_y(x,y). And keep in mind the product rule as well.

I do get how to get u_s and I know I should be able to know how to get u_(ss) from that but for some reason I don't :(.

I also know that f = f(x,y) as well as f_x = f_x(x,y) and f_y = f_y(x,y) and I vaguely suspected that the product rule was being applied for the u_(ss) step but can you outline the steps from u_s to u_(ss) please?

s3a said:
I do get how to get u_s and I know I should be able to know how to get u_(ss) from that but for some reason I don't :(.

I also know that f = f(x,y) as well as f_x = f_x(x,y) and f_y = f_y(x,y) and I vaguely suspected that the product rule was being applied for the u_(ss) step but can you outline the steps from u_s to u_(ss) please?
attachment.php?attachmentid=43377&d=1328113505.jpg

You have
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial u}{\partial s}=
\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle u_s= f_x\,\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+f_y\,\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}=
f_x\,e^s\cos(t)+f_y\,e^s\sin(t)[/itex]​
So, for uss take the partial of us w.r.t. s, especially observing the chain rule & product rule.

First the product rule:
[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial u_s}{\partial s} = \frac{\partial f_x}{\partial s} \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+f_x\,\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s^2}+
\frac{\partial f_y}{\partial s} \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}+f_y\,\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial s^2} [/itex]​

Now plug-in the chain rule for [itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial f_x}{\partial s}\text{ and }\frac{\partial f_y}{\partial s}\,.[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{\partial u_s}{\partial s} =\left(\frac{\partial f_x}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial f_x}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right) \frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+f_x\,\frac{\partial^2 x}{\partial s^2}+
\left(\frac{\partial f_y}{\partial x}\frac{\partial x}{\partial s}+\frac{\partial f_y}{\partial y}\frac{\partial y}{\partial s}\right) \frac{\partial y}{\partial s}+f_y\,\frac{\partial^2 y}{\partial s^2} [/itex]
The rest is algebra.

Related to I'm having major difficulties with partial differentiation using the chain rule

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding the other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus and is an important tool in many scientific fields.

2. What is the chain rule?

The chain rule is a formula used to calculate the derivative of a composite function. It states that the derivative of a composite function is equal to the derivative of the outer function evaluated at the inner function, multiplied by the derivative of the inner function.

3. Why is the chain rule important in partial differentiation?

The chain rule is important in partial differentiation because it allows us to find the derivative of a function that is composed of multiple functions. In partial differentiation, we often encounter functions that are composed of several variables, and the chain rule allows us to calculate their derivatives efficiently.

4. What are some common difficulties with using the chain rule in partial differentiation?

Some common difficulties with using the chain rule in partial differentiation include keeping track of the various functions and their derivatives, understanding the order in which the chain rule should be applied, and knowing how to handle more complex functions such as trigonometric or exponential functions.

5. How can I improve my understanding and application of the chain rule in partial differentiation?

To improve your understanding and application of the chain rule in partial differentiation, it is important to practice with various types of functions and problems, seek help from tutors or online resources, and make sure you have a solid understanding of basic calculus concepts. It can also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller steps and to check your work using techniques such as the product rule or quotient rule.