I'm haveing optimization problems

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem that involves finding the area of the largest rectangle inscribed in a right triangle with given leg lengths. The person shares their attempted solution using equations and asks for clarification on their mistake. The expert summarizes the mistake as back-substituting and provides a hint for finding the maximum area. Another similar problem is also mentioned and the expert provides a solution method using a coordinate system and calculus.
JonF
This is homework (forgive me) but I don’t want an answer I would just like to know what I am doing wrong.

Here is the problem:

Find the area of the largest rectangle that can be inscribed in a right triangle with legs of lengths 3cm and 4cm if tow dies of the rectangle lie along the legs.

Here is what I did

L = length of rectangle
W = width
Theta = angle 4 leg of the right triangle

I’m trying to optimize W*L where :
W < 3
L < 4

These are the equations I got:
Tan(theta) = w/(4-L)
Tan(theta) = (3-W)/L
Tan(theta) = 3/4

W = [itex] 3(4-L)/4 [/itex]

so:

{3 - 3(4-L)/4}/ L = 3/4

and that is as far as this brain will take me...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Basically, what you have done "wrong" is back-substituting, so that you end up with the trivially correct equation 3/4=3/4 .
You already have a perfectly good expression for the width, w=3(4-L)/4.
With this expression, what is the area of the rectangle?
How can you find the maximum of this area?

After you figure out that one, try this one.

Basically the same problem, but one side of the rectangle is on the hypotenuse of the triangle.

Set up a coordinate system with the right angle at, (4,0) thus the line representing the hypotenuse is given by y= 3x/4.

Let L and H be the sides of your rectangle. One corner must be on the line y(x) = 3x/4
one side will be L=4-x the other H=y

The area is A=L*H = (4-x)*y = (4-x)*3x/4

Compute [tex] \frac {dA} {dx}= 0 [/tex]

Related to I'm haveing optimization problems

1. What is optimization?

Optimization refers to the process of finding the best possible solution for a problem. It involves maximizing or minimizing a certain objective while considering any constraints or limitations.

2. What are common types of optimization problems?

Some common types of optimization problems include linear programming, quadratic programming, integer programming, and multi-objective optimization. These problems can be solved using mathematical algorithms and techniques.

3. How do you approach an optimization problem?

The first step in approaching an optimization problem is to clearly define the objective and any constraints. Then, mathematical models and algorithms can be used to find the optimal solution. It is important to also consider any practical limitations and potential trade-offs.

4. What are some real-world applications of optimization?

Optimization has many real-world applications, such as in logistics and supply chain management, finance and investment, engineering design, data analysis, and machine learning. It can be used to improve efficiency, reduce costs, and make better decisions.

5. What skills are needed to solve optimization problems?

To solve optimization problems, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in areas such as calculus, linear algebra, and optimization theory. Additionally, critical thinking and problem-solving skills are important in formulating and solving complex optimization problems.