If you push on a crate with a force of 100 N and it slides at constant velocity, how

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of dynamic equilibrium and how it relates to the force of friction between a crate and the floor. It is determined that if a crate is being pushed at a force of 100 N and it moves at a constant velocity, the friction acting on the crate must also be 100 N in order to maintain dynamic equilibrium. This means that the net force on the crate is zero, as the force of friction is equal and opposite to the pushing force.
pbody
If you push on a crate with a force of 100 N and it slides at constant velocity, how much is the friction acting on the crate?

Consider a crate being pushed horizontally across a factory floor. If it moves at a steady speed in a straight - line path, it is in dynamic equilibrium. This tells us that more than one force acts on the crate. Another force exists likely the force of friction between the crate and the floor. The fact that the net force on the crate equals zero means that the force of fricition must equal and opposite to our pushing force.

Homework Equations

3. 100 N of friction

Physics news on Phys.org

What exactly is ur question??

U already got ur answer that friction force is 100N as there is no acceleration of crate and all
applied force is canceled by friction to keep body in dynamic equilibrium

My question was my answer I thought, but I was thinking if someone was pushing the crate at 100 N and there was 100 N of resistance how would they be pushing it but you answered my thought they wouldn't be.

Related to If you push on a crate with a force of 100 N and it slides at constant velocity, how

1. What is the relationship between force and velocity in this scenario?

In this scenario, the force applied to the crate (100 N) is equal to the force of friction acting against it. This results in a constant velocity, meaning the crate will continue to move at the same speed in the same direction.

2. How does the crate's mass affect the force needed to maintain a constant velocity?

The mass of the crate does not affect the force needed to maintain a constant velocity. As long as the force of friction is equal to the applied force, the crate will continue to slide at a constant velocity regardless of its mass.

3. What factors can affect the force of friction acting on the crate?

The force of friction acting on the crate can be affected by the surface the crate is sliding on, the weight of the crate, and the presence of any lubricants or other substances between the crate and the surface.

4. How does the angle of the applied force affect the crate's motion?

The angle of the applied force will affect the direction of the crate's motion. If the force is applied at an angle, it will have both horizontal and vertical components, causing the crate to move in a diagonal direction.

5. What other forces may be acting on the crate in this scenario?

In addition to the force of friction and the applied force, there may be other forces acting on the crate such as air resistance, gravitational force, and normal force from the surface. However, if the crate is sliding at a constant velocity, these forces are likely balanced and not affecting its motion.