How Much Force to Slide a Crate with Friction?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to determine the horizontal force needed to accelerate a 15kg crate at 3.0 m/s/s across the floor, given the coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.28. The conversation also covers the equations and steps needed to find this force, including calculating the opposing friction force and the force required to accelerate the crate, and then adding these forces together.
kid

Homework Statement

A 15kg crate slides across the floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the crate and the floor is 0.28. How much horizontal force is needed to accelerate the crate at 3.0 m/s/s?

Homework Equations

F=ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

F=?
m= 15 kg
u= 0.28
a= 3.0 m/s^2

That's as far as I really got. I'm pretty lost on this one. Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the force of friction determined? What do you need to know to calculate it?

Also, there are two forces involved: the force applied to the crate, and the force of friction. How do those two forces combine to determine the actual motion of the crate?

I guess to determine the Fk I would need uk (0.28) and Fn (9.8 m/s/s). So Fk=uk*Fn would be =2.744... is this sounding right so far or is it off? (thanks a lot for your help by the way.)

I found that F= 41.16 N, and I believe that's right, but I don't know if it's relevant in this equation.

kid said:
I found that F= 41.16 N, and I believe that's right, but I don't know if it's relevant in this equation.
That's the force required to 'overcome' the friction and set the crate in motion. Won't you need a bigger force to accelerate the crate at 3m/s2? Draw FBD and write the equation of motion considering this 'bigger' force.

Would V02 = V2 - 2aΔx be the equation of motion? Would that mean I'd have to find the velocity?

Ok, so I drew a diagram. I calculated 41.16 and for Fk = μkmg, would I have to have a different kinetic value? Or like, treat the first value like a static value?

I'm sorry if I'm totally wrong on this one, I'm just growing more and more puzzled.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 1.13.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-12-04 at 1.13.07 PM.png
    4.9 KB · Views: 433
kid said:
Would V02 = V2 - 2aΔx be the equation of motion? Would that mean I'd have to find the velocity?

Ok, so I drew a diagram. I calculated 41.16 and for Fk = μkmg, would I have to have a different kinetic value? Or like, treat the first value like a static value?

I'm sorry if I'm totally wrong on this one, I'm just growing more and more puzzled.
F(applied)-F(friction)=Fnet,which will be responsible for the 3m/s2 acceleration.

Likes kid
That is very helpful. My only question is how to find F(friction) at this point. Would it be the 41.16 number I got before or would that be Fnet?

kid said:
So Fk=uk*Fn
That's the magnitude of frictional force.
kid said:
or would that be Fnet?
Fnet is what causes the acceleration.

Static friction isn't an issue here, worry about solving the problem once the crate is in motion.
You could work this problem thus :
1) calculate the opposing friction force
2) calculate the force required to accelerate the crate at the required rate
3) add the forces

dean barry said:
Static friction isn't an issue here, worry about solving the problem once the crate is in motion.
You could work this problem thus :
1) calculate the opposing friction force
2) calculate the force required to accelerate the crate at the required rate
3) add the forces
To be pedantic, those two forces act in opposite directions. To fix this up, another step is needed:
1a) calculate the force required to overcome the opposing frictional force.

Related to How Much Force to Slide a Crate with Friction?

1. What is friction and how does it affect objects?

Friction is a force that opposes the relative motion between two surfaces in contact. It can either slow down or prevent the motion of an object.

2. What factors affect the amount of friction between two surfaces?

The amount of friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces, the amount of force pressing the surfaces together, and the type of material the surfaces are made of.

3. How can friction be reduced?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the two surfaces. Additionally, using smoother surfaces or reducing the force pressing them together can also decrease friction.

4. How is friction related to force?

Friction is a type of force. It is caused by the interactions between atoms on the surfaces of two objects. The amount of friction depends on the magnitude and direction of the applied force.

5. What are some real-life examples of friction?

Some common examples of friction include walking on the ground, rubbing your hands together to create heat, and riding a bike. Friction is also important in sports, such as when a basketball player dribbles the ball or a hockey player shoots a puck.