If y=x^x then what is x in terms of y?

• Thread starter 3hlang
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Terms
In summary, the conversation discusses finding a solution for the equation x=y^y through algebraic means. The concept of using the Lambert W function as an inverse for xln(x) is mentioned, and the idea of swapping x and y in the equation is also brought up. The question of what the W function is of is asked, but the conversation does not provide a clear answer.
3hlang
i know this is possible to find with iteration, but is it possible to find it algebraically?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi 3hlang! :smile:
3hlang said:
i know this is possible to find with iteration, but is it possible to find it algebraically?

Nope!

This probably isn't what you mean by "algebraically" but if you take the logarithm of both sides of the equation you get ln(y)= xln(x) and then x= W(ln(y)) where W is the "Lambert W function" which is defined as the inverse function to xln(x).

... and the reason we talk about the Lambert W function is that none of the previously-defined standard functions would work.

so if x=y^y, then y=?

3hlang said:
so if x=y^y, then y=?

HallsofIvy said:
This probably isn't what you mean by "algebraically" but if you take the logarithm of both sides of the equation you get ln(y)= xln(x) and then x= W(ln(y)) where W is the "Lambert W function" which is defined as the inverse function to xln(x).

All you have done is swap x and y! If [itex]x= y^y[/itex] then, by the same formula I gave before, y= W(ln(x)).

what? i wasn't claiming to have done anything radical to the formula. all i wanted to know was what you do the w function of. but thank you for telling me

Related to If y=x^x then what is x in terms of y?

1. What is the value of x when y is given in the equation y=x^x?

The value of x cannot be determined exactly when y is given in the equation y=x^x. This is because there are infinite possible values of x that can satisfy the equation.

2. How can the value of x be calculated if y is known in the equation y=x^x?

The value of x can be approximated using numerical methods such as trial and error or by using a graphing calculator to find the point of intersection between the curve y=x^x and the line y=y. However, there is no exact formula to calculate the value of x in terms of y.

3. Is there a way to solve for x algebraically in the equation y=x^x?

No, there is no algebraic method to solve for x in terms of y in the equation y=x^x. This is because the equation involves both x and y as exponents, making it impossible to isolate x on one side of the equation.

4. Can the equation y=x^x be rewritten to solve for x in terms of y?

No, the equation y=x^x cannot be rewritten to solve for x in terms of y. This is because the equation involves both x and y as exponents, making it impossible to isolate x on one side of the equation.

5. Why is it not possible to determine the value of x in terms of y in the equation y=x^x?

It is not possible to determine the value of x in terms of y in the equation y=x^x because there are infinite possible values of x that can satisfy the equation. Additionally, the equation involves both x and y as exponents, making it impossible to isolate x on one side of the equation.