If something happens, it wasn't me

• Thread starter Psinter
  • Start date
In summary, the post was not posted correctly and may not have appeared. The login and post buttons were not showing up.
Psinter
I was posting a message when I noticed the page was loading and it didn't have the green HTTPS lock on it :nb). I immediately refreshed to see if it persisted only to then get a green HTTPS with the lock as it should be. It was an error of me to refresh. I should have actually looked at the certificate details and see what was broken, if it was the whole certificate, if it was some unencrypted element on the page, check the certificate fingerprint, etc. But I refreshed too hastily.

If something was compromised I believe it should have been only the cookie session. Anyway, mentors and staff, if you see something odd or someone posting stuff that is not characteristic of me, know that it most certainly can be linked to this odd thing that I just noticed and it must not have been me.

I'll keep watch on my account.

Likes Stavros Kiri
Physics news on Phys.org
Just log out, that makes the session details invalid. I don't think it is necessary, but if you are worried that way everything transmitted becomes useless to others.

I did that. But anything transmitted may be become useless only if Forward Secrecy is enabled.

Eitherway, I don't think anything was compromised. I wrote this thread just to give notice :wink:. Like, just in case.

I found out the problem because it happened again. When you are editing a post and the post contains images that are loaded from websites using http, the browser notifies through the use of an icon that the connection is only partially encrypted.

When you are writing a post and insert some content on it that gets extracted through http, the editor uses that http and that raises the warning in the browser. But when the content gets posted, the content is rendered through PF proxy which uses an encrypted connection. That is why when you refresh, everything appears to be in order again.

That is also why, when one is posting an image from another website, it displays well in the editor, but when posted it goes through PF proxy which makes the image break sometimes.

Two observations that now have an explanation :biggrin:.

Well, then the image traffic is not encrypted. The image traffic has nothing to do with user data here, so it is fine.

I am also reporting something weird, as we speak (see new thread/announcement) ...

I know this message is not in the right place.
I cannot effectively login, and there is no New Post button, and I am not even certain if this posting will appear in this (incorrectly chosen ) thread.
I click LOG IN OR SIGN IN, fill my username and password, but then the resulting page will not show PF with the down-arrow, and when veiwing topics, there is no NEW POST button.

symbolipoint said:
I know this message is not in the right place.
I cannot effectively login, and there is no New Post button, and I am not even certain if this posting will appear in this (incorrectly chosen ) thread.
I click LOG IN OR SIGN IN, fill my username and password, but then the resulting page will not show PF with the down-arrow, and when veiwing topics, there is no NEW POST button.
I think new post has relocated. Yours' here appearred ok. May be restart your device, if just refreshing the pages doesn't work, etc. ...

symbolipoint said:
I cannot effectively login
Should be fixed now. At any rate you must already be logged in or you can't post :)

Starting from my post, #7,
Seems working now.

1. What does the phrase "If something happens, it wasn't me" mean?

The phrase "If something happens, it wasn't me" is often used as a disclaimer or excuse to distance oneself from a potential negative action or consequence. It implies that the person is not responsible for the outcome and should not be held accountable.

2. Why would someone use the phrase "If something happens, it wasn't me"?

People may use this phrase as a defense mechanism to avoid taking responsibility for their actions. It can also be used as a way to shift blame onto someone or something else.

3. Is the phrase "If something happens, it wasn't me" a valid excuse?

No, the phrase is not a valid excuse. Even if the person did not directly cause the event, they may still be responsible for contributing to the circumstances that led to it.

4. Can the phrase "If something happens, it wasn't me" be used in a scientific context?

Yes, the phrase can be used in a scientific context to acknowledge that there may be other factors or variables that could have influenced the outcome of an experiment or observation. However, it should not be used as a way to avoid accountability for mistakes or errors in the scientific process.

5. How can we avoid using the phrase "If something happens, it wasn't me" in scientific research?

We can avoid using this phrase by taking responsibility for our actions and being transparent about any potential limitations or errors in our research. It is important to acknowledge and learn from mistakes in order to improve the quality and reliability of scientific findings.