If k, m, and w are known, then r can be calculated.

In summary, the problem is asking for the maximum distance from the center of the merry-go-round that the puck can be placed without sliding, which is given by r = kg/w^2.
cameo_demon
The following problem is take from Thorton and Marion's Classical Dynamics, 5th edition, p. 408, chapter 10, problem 3.

Given
A puck of mass m on a merry-go-round (a flat rotating disk) has constant angular velocity [tex]\omega[/tex] and coefficient of static friction between the puck and the disk of [tex]{\mu}_{s}[/tex].Task
Determine how far away from the center of the merry-go-round the hockey puck can be placed without sliding.

Solve

here's my attempt at a solution:

we want the puck to have zero velocity, so that when we integrate velocity with respect to time we get out a constant k, which is our radius from the center.

for the general case:

[tex]F = ma_{f} = m\ddot{R}_{f} + ma_{r} + m\dot{\omega} \times r + 2m\omega \times v_{r}[/tex]

the only force internal to the inertial reference frame is the friction force [tex]m\mu_{s}g[/tex]

and are solving for r for the zero velocity case and constant angular velocity, we can throw out the first two terms as well as the last:

[tex]F = m\mu_{s}g = m\dot{\omega} \times r [/tex]

which allows to say

[tex] m\mu_{s}g = mr\omega^{2} \hat{i}[/tex]

solving for r:

[tex] \frac{\mu_{s}g}{\omega^{2}} = r \hat{i}[/tex]

i feel really shaky about this result because i just don't feel confident about it because a) the thorton and marion book is too high-level and relies too heavily on mathematical formalism which b) i suck at.

any help or comments would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have made the solution too long.

The puck will not slide as long as the static frictional force is less than or equal to the centrifugal force in the rotating frame. The maximum frictional force is k*N. So,

mw^2r = kN = kmg =>
r = kg/w^2.

Related to If k, m, and w are known, then r can be calculated.

1. What is the Coriolis Effect with Friction?

The Coriolis Effect with Friction is a phenomenon that occurs due to the rotation of the Earth. As objects move across the Earth's surface or through its atmosphere, they are affected by the Coriolis force, which is caused by the Earth's rotation. When friction is present, this force changes the direction of the moving object, causing it to curve to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern hemisphere.

2. How does the Coriolis Effect with Friction impact weather patterns?

The Coriolis Effect with Friction plays a significant role in weather patterns. As air and water move across the Earth's surface, they are deflected by the Coriolis force, causing them to spiral and creating weather patterns such as hurricanes and cyclones. In the northern hemisphere, these storms spin counterclockwise, while in the southern hemisphere, they spin clockwise.

3. Does the Coriolis Effect with Friction impact the trajectory of projectiles?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect with Friction affects the trajectory of projectiles such as missiles and bullets. The rotation of the Earth causes these objects to veer off course, making it necessary for these factors to be taken into account in their design and targeting.

4. Can the Coriolis Effect with Friction be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect with Friction can be observed in everyday life. For example, in the northern hemisphere, water draining from a sink or toilet will rotate counterclockwise due to the Coriolis force. However, this effect is very small and is often overshadowed by other factors.

5. How is the Coriolis Effect with Friction calculated?

The Coriolis Effect with Friction is calculated using the Coriolis force equation, which takes into account the rotation of the Earth, the velocity of the moving object, and the latitude at which it is located. This equation is often used in meteorology and oceanography to predict the effects of the Coriolis force on weather patterns and ocean currents.