Coriolis Effect for a level surface on Earth

In summary: The puck moves in a circle as viewed in the Earth's rotating frame. The radius of the circle is R and the angular frequency of the motion is ω.
Habeebe

Homework Statement

A puck slides with speed v on a frictionless ice that is level in the sense that the surface is perpendicular to geff at all points. Show that the puck moves in a circle as viewed in the Earth's rotating frame. Determine the radius of the circle and the angular frequency of the motion. Assume that the puck's circle is small compared to the radius of the earth.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{F}_{cor}=2m\vec{v}\times\Omega[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have a solution, I just want to make sure that my logic is correct. I'm worried that I'm missing something subtle.

Assuming that geff the normal force and the z component of the Coriolis force all balance (it's sitting on top of the ice at all times). Then the only thing I have to worry about is the Coriolis force.

[itex]\vec{F}_{cor}=2m\vec{v}\times\Omega[/itex] dot product by v on both sides
[itex]\vec{F}_{cor}\cdot\vec{v} = 2m(\vec{v}\times\Omega)\cdot\vec{v} [/itex]
[itex](\vec{v}\times\Omega)\cdot\vec{v} = 0 [/itex] therefore:
[itex]\vec{F}_{cor}\cdot\vec{v}=0[/itex] therefore, [itex]\vec{F}_{cor}\perp\vec{v}, \forall\vec{v}[/itex]

Since the force is perpendicular to the velocity, it must go in a circle.

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't have to go through all those contortions to arrive at the fact that force is perpendicular to velocity. The cross product of two vectors that are not parallel or antiparallel to one another is a third vector that is perpendicular to both vectors involved in the cross product.

That said, that force is perpendicular to velocity alone does not make for circular motion. You need some other condition. Hint: You were told to "assume that the puck's circle is small compared to the radius of the earth."

Likes 1 person
The puck's circle is small implies v stays in a plane (in its reference frame). So I need to say that the motion is confined to a plane for a consistently perpendicular force to make a circle, right?

That's part of it. Do you get a circle if the force isn't constant?

Ohhhhhh. I'm pretty embarrassed I missed that part. Thanks!

Related to Coriolis Effect for a level surface on Earth

What is the Coriolis Effect?

The Coriolis Effect is a phenomenon that causes objects, such as air or water, to appear to curve when moving across the surface of the Earth. It is caused by the Earth's rotation and the inertia of moving objects.

How does the Coriolis Effect work on a level surface on Earth?

On a level surface, the Coriolis Effect causes objects to appear to deflect to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This is due to the Earth's rotation, which causes different rotational speeds at different latitudes.

Does the Coriolis Effect affect all objects on a level surface on Earth?

The Coriolis Effect only affects objects that are in motion over long distances or periods of time. It is not noticeable in everyday movements or small-scale experiments.

How does the Coriolis Effect impact weather patterns on Earth?

The Coriolis Effect plays a significant role in shaping global wind patterns and ocean currents. It causes air and water to move in curved paths, which helps to distribute heat and moisture around the planet.

Is the Coriolis Effect the same on other planets?

The Coriolis Effect varies on other planets depending on their size and rotational speed. It is most noticeable on larger, rapidly rotating planets like Jupiter and least noticeable on smaller, slower rotating planets like Venus.