If energy is created with expansion and it has no limit....?

In summary, the conversation revolves around the concept of infinite potential energy in the expanding universe. The participants discuss whether this potential energy can be created and if it is a valid term to use. They also question the relevance and importance of discussing infinite energy. The conversation concludes with the suggestion to describe the phenomenon instead of using a single term.
Noduagga
Then is potential energy infinite (potential energy=energy that can be created)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Think about how much this cost in terms of work! Absurd! It is as the perpetual motion ... :biggrin:

Noduagga said:
Then is potential energy infinite (potential energy=energy that can be created)
There is no potential energy creation in the creation of "dark energy" so I don't see that your "potential energy=energy that can be created" is a true definition at least certainly not in this case.

phinds said:
There is no potential energy creation in the creation of "dark energy" so I don't see that your "potential energy=energy that can be created" is a true definition at least certainly not in this case.
So how would you call the energy that could be created? Would it be infinite?

Noduagga said:
So how would you call the energy that could be created? Would it be infinite?
Only if the universe is infinite. What are you really trying to get at?

phinds said:
Only if the universe is infinite. What are you really trying to get at?
Ok I think we aren't understanding each other. Correct me if I'm wrong. As universe expands and more space time appears more dark,vacuum and gravitational energy appear too right? So, if expansion has no limit (universe can expand forever) then these energies could be created with no limit right? Infinite energy could appear right? That infinite energy that can appear with expansion is what i called potential energy...so...?

Noduagga said:
Ok I think we aren't understanding each other. Correct me if I'm wrong. As universe expands and more space time appears more dark,vacuum and gravitational energy appear too right? So, if expansion has no limit (universe can expand forever) then these energies could be created with no limit right? Infinite energy could appear right? That infinite energy that can appear with expansion is what i called potential energy...so...?
If the universe is infinite they you don't need to wait ... the DE is ALREADY infinite. I still have no idea why you call it potential energy. Do you mean that there is the potential for infinite energy? If so, you are using a completely non-standard definition of the phrase "potential energy".

phinds said:
If the universe is infinite they you don't need to wait ... the DE is ALREADY infinite. I still have no idea why you call it potential energy. Do you mean that there is the potential for infinite energy? If so, you are using a completely non-standard definition of the phrase "potential energy".
Well supposing that universe is finite and expanding.
And yes that was the thing i meant to say. If calling it potential energy is incorrect what term should i use?

Noduagga said:
Well supposing that universe is finite and expanding.
And yes that was the thing i meant to say. If calling it potential energy is incorrect what term should i use?
If the universe is finite then an infinite amount of DE would take an infinite time to create.

Do you understand the normal meaning of "potential energy"? If not, you should get clear on it.

phinds said:
If the universe is finite then an infinite amount of DE would take an infinite time to create.

Do you understand the normal meaning of "potential energy"? If not, you should get clear on it.
I called it potential energy because i didn't find another way to name it but i knew it was somehow incorrect that's why i asked the question..so how could we name it?

Noduagga said:
I called it potential energy because i didn't find another way to name it but i knew it was somehow incorrect that's why i asked the question..so how could we name it?
Just describe it, exactly as you would do for any phenomenon or complex set of events for which there is no single name.

phinds said:
Just describe it, exactly as you would do for any phenomenon or complex set of events for which there is no single name.
ok, you're right but just one last thing. if infinite energy can be created, could we say that there's (potentially) infinite energy ?

Noduagga said:
ok, you're right but just one last thing. if infinite energy can be created, could we say that there's (potentially) infinite energy ?
In an infinite universe or in an infinite amount of time, there can be infinite most anything. What IS this fascination you have with infinite energy? What's the point? Do you have some personal theory that you are trying to find support for?

Note that the total energy for the universe (including potential energy) is difficult to define for a number of complicated reasons. The following article goes into detail about energy conservation in GR, which is essentially what you're talking about here. Here's the link: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/energy_gr.html

The total energy of the universe is irrelevant, only the energy density in the observable universe matters.

phinds said:
In an infinite universe or in an infinite amount of time, there can be infinite most anything. What IS this fascination you have with infinite energy? What's the point? Do you have some personal theory that you are trying to find support for?
So, would we be correct if we say that energy is (potentially) infinite?

Noduagga said:
So, would we be correct if we say that energy is (potentially) infinite?
WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS ? What IS it that makes you keep trying to get people to tell you that there is infinite energy. What does it matter? Did you not believe Chronos' telling you that it it irrelevant and only the energy density matters?

I have asked you a couple of times now why you keep asking this. Why do you refuse to answer?

Likes davenn and Vanadium 50
Thread closed on this pointless discussion.

Likes davenn

Related to If energy is created with expansion and it has no limit....?

1. What is meant by "energy is created with expansion"?

When we talk about energy being created with expansion, we are referring to the idea that the universe is constantly expanding and this expansion creates energy. This is known as the cosmological constant and is a fundamental concept in modern physics.

2. How does expansion create energy?

According to the laws of thermodynamics, the total energy of a system is constant. However, as the universe expands, the energy density of the universe decreases. This decrease in energy density is equivalent to energy being created. This energy is often referred to as "dark energy" and is thought to make up about 68% of the total energy in the universe.

3. Is there a limit to the amount of energy that can be created through expansion?

The current understanding is that there is no limit to the amount of energy that can be created through expansion. As long as the universe continues to expand, energy will continue to be created. However, it is important to note that this energy is not created out of nothing, but rather from the decrease in energy density as the universe expands.

4. How does this relate to the Big Bang theory?

The concept of energy being created with expansion is closely tied to the Big Bang theory. According to this theory, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. As the universe expanded, energy was created and this energy is what allowed for the formation of galaxies, stars, and other structures in the universe.

5. What are the implications of energy being created with expansion?

The idea of energy being created with expansion has significant implications for our understanding of the universe and its evolution. It helps to explain the current rate of expansion of the universe and the presence of dark energy. It also has implications for the ultimate fate of the universe, as some theories suggest that expansion could eventually lead to a "big rip" where the universe tears apart due to the continued creation of energy.