If D is a diagonal matrix, when is B D B^T diagonal?

In summary, the question asks for what matrices \mathbf{B} is \mathbf{BDB}^{T} a diagonal matrix, in the context of a stochastic processes exercise. The answer involves finding a matrix \mathbf{A} such that \mathbf{A}\mathbf{A}^{T} is diagonal, which can be derived from the fact that \mathbf{B}\mathbf{S}\mathbf{S}^{T}\mathbf{B}^{T} = \mathbf{A}\mathbf{A}^{T} with \mathbf{S} being a diagonal matrix. The types of matrices that satisfy this condition include diagonal and anti-diagonal matrices.
Constantinos
Hey! So here's the question:

Homework Statement

Let

[itex]\mathbf{B} \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n}[/itex] be some square matrix we can choose and

[itex]\mathbf{D} \in \mathbb{R}^{n \times n}[/itex] be some given diagonal matrix with positive diagonal elements.

For what matrices [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] is the product

[itex]\mathbf{BDB}^{T}[/itex]

a diagonal matrix?

Homework Equations

Anything goes here I guess. It could be something very easy or requiring theorems (SVD ?)

The Attempt at a Solution

Well I tried to do this for [itex] \mathbf{B}, \mathbf{D} \in \mathbb{R}^{2 \times 2}[/itex] and the matrix that satisfies the above could be diagonal, anti-diagonal, or even have a row zeroed (but not column). So it can't be something simple, like just saying that it should be diagonal (which is rather obvious)

If anyone has anything to suggest feel free, thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It wants you to discover what kind of matrix B has to be in general ... i.e. would it be "singular", "self adjoint", that sort of thing. What are some types of matrixes you have been learning about lately? Ones that have a special relationship with their transpose?

Note: if D is diagonal, then D=dt I: d=tr(D)

Well I haven't been learning about any matrices lately! This question arose on a stochastic processes exercise, were a certain Z = BX + d where X is a random vector of uncorrelated Gaussian random variables. The exercise asks what must Β be for the Ζ variables to still remain uncorrelated. This amounts to the problem above, i.e find Β such that:

[itex] \mathbf{B} Cov(X) \mathbf{B}^T [/itex] is diagonal. [itex] Cov(X) [/itex] is diagonal since the Gaussians are uncorrelated.

I guess I could just answer it *can* be diagonal, or anti-diagonal, but there seem to be more matrices with this property. I am just wondering if there is a closed formula to describe them.

Now that I think of it,

[itex]\mathbf{D} = Cov(X) = \mathbf{SS}^T[/itex]

where

[itex] \mathbf{S} =
\begin{bmatrix}
\sigma_1 & 0 & \cdots & 0 \\
0 & \sigma_2 & \cdots & 0 \\
\vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots \\
0 & 0 & \cdots & \sigma_n
\end{bmatrix} [/itex]

So we have:

[itex]
\mathbf{BDB}^T = \mathbf{BS}\mathbf{S}^T\mathbf{B}^T = (\mathbf{BS})(\mathbf{BS})^T = \mathbf{A}\mathbf{A}^T, ~~ \mathbf{A} \equiv \mathbf{BS} [/itex]

So now the question becomes, for what matrices [itex]\mathbf{B}[/itex] is the above [itex]\mathbf{A}\mathbf{A}^T[/itex] diagonal? I'm not aware of any theorems to continue from here on.

Last edited:

Related to If D is a diagonal matrix, when is B D B^T diagonal?

1. What is a diagonal matrix?

A diagonal matrix is a square matrix where all the elements outside the main diagonal (top left to bottom right) are equal to zero. The main diagonal contains the non-zero elements.

2. What is the significance of a diagonal matrix?

Diagonal matrices have many useful properties in mathematics and science, such as simplifying computations and representing transformations in a more efficient manner. They also play a crucial role in solving systems of linear equations and diagonalizing matrices.

3. What is the transpose of a matrix?

The transpose of a matrix is a new matrix where the rows and columns of the original matrix are interchanged. This means that the first row of the original matrix becomes the first column of the transposed matrix, the second row becomes the second column, and so on.

4. What is the relation between a diagonal matrix and its transpose?

The transpose of a diagonal matrix is the same as the original matrix itself. This is because the diagonal elements do not change when the matrix is transposed, and the non-diagonal elements are already zero.

5. When is BDBT diagonal if D is a diagonal matrix?

BDBT is diagonal if and only if B is an orthogonal matrix. This means that the columns of B are orthogonal (perpendicular) to each other and have a length of 1. In other words, the transpose of B is equal to its inverse (BT = B-1).