If AI could replace physicists why should we still research?

In summary: We are the "AI" that do such things. In summary, the conversation discussed the potential for artificial intelligence to eventually replace human physicists and research in the fields of physics, mathematics, and biology. Some participants argued that AI could potentially solve problems and make discoveries much faster than humans, while others pointed out the limitations and uncertainties of this possibility. Overall, the conversation showed concerns and speculations about the future of scientific research and the role of AI in it.
Gjmdp
I mean, probably in the future an Artificial Intelligence may solve every problem of Physics and even create a theory of everything. I feel like all the progress physicist have done in 100 years could be done in the future by a machine like in 1 second. So why should we keep on doing research at all? And the same applies to Mathematics, Biology... We could just leave this to the machines, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's get in as much fun (ie, Physics discoveries) as we can before they take over.

Gjmdp said:
I mean, probably in the future an Artificial Intelligence may solve every problem of Physics and even create a theory of everything. I feel like all the progress physicist have done in 100 years could be done in the future by a machine like in 1 second. So why should we keep on doing research at all? And the same applies to Mathematics, Biology... We could just leave this to the machines, right?
Well, you should just avoid all scientific research and the rest of us will go happily along without you.

Gjmdp said:
Because we don't know when or if it will happen and without that research it won't ever happen.

"Yes, man is gradually becoming superfluous. They say, there is already a computer in Japan that can be used to play chess against." - "Then I'd buy two" Jossele said. "They can play with each other and I go to the movies." - "Alright" I answered. "Let's go." (Ephraim Kishon)

Likes nasu, russ_watters and MarkFL
fresh_42 said:
"Yes, man is gradually becoming superfluous. They say, there is already a computer in Japan that can be used to play chess against." - "Then I'd buy two" Jossele said. "They can play with each other and I go to the movies." - "Alright" I answered. "Let's go." (Ephraim Kishon)
Funny article title* I saw today:
"AI[!] can do an astronomer's job 10 million times faster". Yeah, I've got one of those - it's called "Excel". Never heard it called "AI" before though. :rolleyes:
*I didn't bother reading it.

Likes fresh_42
It is even easier for AI to replace human posters on Internet forums. Why bother to ask questions? o_O

Likes russ_watters
Gjmdp said:

This is silly.

Show me a computer that can derive superconductivity by solving EXACTLY the many-body problem, and we'll talk.

Zz.

phinds said:
Well, you should just avoid all scientific research and the rest of us will go happily along without you.
Ok that was a little bit rude.

anorlunda said:
It is even easier for AI to replace human posters on Internet forums. Why bother to ask questions? o_O
Still, for now, they can't, or at least they can at a very primitive level hahaha. Tell me when they can.

ZapperZ said:
This is silly.

Show me a computer that can derive superconductivity by solving EXACTLY the many-body problem, and we'll talk.

Zz.
I mean in the future. Of course they can't for now. But I'm pretty sure when Super AI becomes real it will manage this task.

russ_watters said:
Funny article title* I saw today:
"AI[!] can do an astronomer's job 10 million times faster". Yeah, I've got one of those - it's called "Excel". Never heard it called "AI" before though. :rolleyes:
*I didn't bother reading it.
There are some papers in astronomy that use machine learning (AI). We are letting Artificial intelligence into Physics, and as we know AI will replace physicists in the future (machines will have achieved a superior understanding of the laws of Physics that no human could understand), so physicists are selling his jobs nowadays even though they know it. When I wrote this post I hoped some type of answer that made human research worthly rather than machine research, but as you have said research is now a mix of human and machine intelligence. What I can inference from your posts is that human intelligence will no longer be worth.

Some experts believe this AI will arrive in 2020-2030, so future physics may eventually have to leave their jobs as they will be of no utility anymore. Discouraging right? This is just speculation, but physics students should know that there is a very real chance that in a very close future they will loose job.

Thanks for all your responses, even the rude ones(...).

Last edited:
Gjmdp said:
We are letting Artificial intelligence into Physics, and as we know AI will replace physicists in the future (machines will have achieved a superior understanding of the laws of Physics that no human could understand), so physicists are selling his jobs nowadays even though they know it.
Until it happens, nobody "knows" this: it is speculation. And I doubt most informed observers consider it likely in the near future.

Our most advanced instruments in physics (Kepler, VLT/ELT, CERN) all run automatically to some extend, including data analysis. Nevertheless, there are dozens of engineers, astronomers and particle physicists around to manage and evaluate the results. And the waiting lists for using time are considerably long.

I wonder, if an AI would have found the broken connection, when superluminous neutrinos had been measured.

Gjmdp said:
I mean in the future. Of course they can't for now. But I'm pretty sure when Super AI becomes real it will manage this task.

Sorry, this isn't a matter of "capability". How does an "AI" hope to do such computation?

Hint: look at the concept of "emergent" phenomenon.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Sorry, this isn't a matter of "capability". How does an "AI" hope to do such computation?

Hint: look at the concept of "emergent" phenomenon.

Zz.
I knew that already. Super AI would outperform every human ability, such as thinking and theorizing, not just computing, so if machines can't do the task you are talking of, human being will not be able to do that either. I don't see your issue as a problem.

Would humans end up being mere "pets" for those computers? I think it would be better to somehow "upgrade" the human brain by connecting it to computers that can handle those things that are not easy for a human mind.

Gjmdp said:
Artificial Intelligence may solve every problem of Physics
Gjmdp said:
Super AI would outperform every human ability, such as thinking and theorizing,
Gjmdp said:
we know AI will replace physicists in the future
Please PM me with the professional references that support these claims. Until then, please review the rules about personal speculation. Although there is a lot of popular media hype about AI, we require stronger evidence than hype here at PF.

Related to If AI could replace physicists why should we still research?

1. Why should we continue to research in physics if AI can replace physicists?

While AI has advanced significantly in recent years, it is still limited by the data and algorithms that it is trained on. Physics research involves exploring new ideas and theories, which cannot be solely learned through data. Additionally, AI may be able to process and analyze large amounts of data, but it lacks the creativity and critical thinking skills that physicists possess. Without human input and research, the potential for new discoveries and advancements in physics would be greatly limited.

2. What are the benefits of having both AI and physicists in the field of physics?

Having both AI and physicists in the field of physics allows for a collaborative approach to research. AI can assist physicists by quickly analyzing and processing large amounts of data, freeing up time for them to focus on more complex tasks. Additionally, AI can help physicists discover new patterns and connections in data that may have been overlooked. On the other hand, physicists can provide critical thinking and creativity to AI, helping to improve its algorithms and expand its capabilities.

3. How can AI and physicists work together to advance the field of physics?

AI and physicists can work together in a variety of ways to advance the field of physics. AI can assist physicists in analyzing data and identifying patterns, while physicists can use their critical thinking skills to interpret the results and develop new theories. Additionally, AI can be used to simulate experiments and test hypotheses, allowing physicists to gather more data and refine their theories. Overall, the collaboration between AI and physicists can lead to new discoveries and advancements in the field of physics.

4. Can AI completely replace physicists in the future?

While it is possible that AI may be able to perform some tasks currently done by physicists, it is unlikely that it will completely replace them in the near future. Physics research involves more than just data analysis and requires creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills that AI does not possess. Additionally, the field of physics is constantly evolving, and it is difficult to predict what future advancements may be needed that AI cannot fulfill.

5. How can we ensure that AI and physics research continue to advance together?

To ensure that AI and physics research continue to advance together, it is important to promote collaboration and interdisciplinary approaches. This can involve physicists learning more about AI and how to utilize its capabilities, as well as AI experts learning about physics and its principles. Additionally, continued investment in both fields and their integration can lead to new discoveries and advancements that benefit both AI and physics research.