If a mod sees this, please delete the topic; I posted it in the wrong section.

In summary, the conversation discusses the meaning of a statement where the person who posted a topic asks for it to be deleted from the wrong section. It is explained that this could be due to a mistake or a change in opinion. It is also mentioned that in most cases, only a moderator has the ability to delete a topic on a forum. The ease of deleting a topic depends on the platform and moderator's permissions. If someone accidentally posts a topic in the wrong section, the best solution is to inform a moderator for assistance.
cse63146

Homework Statement

The differential equation that models the volume of a raindrop is [tex]\frac{dy}{dt} = kv^{2/3}[/tex] where [tex]k = 3^{2/3}(4 \pi)^{1/3}[/tex]

A) Why doesn't this equation satisfy the hypothesis of the Uniqueness Theroem?
B) Give a physical interpertation of the fact that solution to this equation with the initial condition v(0) = 0 are not unique. Does this model say anything about the way raindrops begin to form?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

A) The equation doesn't satisfy the hypothesis Uniqueness Theroem because when v = 0, the equation's derivative does not exist.

B) At time t = 0, the raindrop does not have volume, but as t increases, it's volume increases as well.

Am I correct for both parts

Physics news on Phys.org
?

A) Yes, you are correct. The Uniqueness Theorem requires the equation to be continuously differentiable, meaning that the derivative exists at all points. In this case, the derivative does not exist when v = 0, so the theorem does not apply.

B) Yes, you are correct again. The initial condition v(0) = 0 means that at time t = 0, the raindrop has no volume. However, as time increases, the volume of the raindrop increases due to the velocity term in the equation. This could be interpreted as raindrops forming from smaller droplets as they fall through the atmosphere.

?

A) Yes, you are correct. The Uniqueness Theorem states that for a differential equation of the form y' = f(t,y) with initial condition y(t0) = y0, there exists a unique solution in some interval around t0 if f(t,y) is continuous and satisfies the Lipschitz condition. In this case, the equation does not satisfy the Lipschitz condition because the derivative is not defined at v = 0.

B) Your interpretation is correct. The initial condition v(0) = 0 represents the beginning of the raindrop's formation, but as time increases, the volume of the raindrop increases as well. This model does not take into account the formation process of raindrops, but rather focuses on the growth of the raindrop once it has formed.

Related to If a mod sees this, please delete the topic; I posted it in the wrong section.

1. What does "If a mod sees this, please delete the topic; I posted it in the wrong section." mean?

This statement means that the person who posted the topic realizes they made a mistake and would like a moderator to delete the topic from the current section it is in.

2. Why would someone want to delete a topic they posted?

They may want to delete the topic because they posted it in the wrong section and want to repost it in the correct section. It could also be due to a change in their opinion or the information provided is no longer relevant.

3. Can anyone delete a topic or does it have to be a mod?

In most cases, only a moderator has the ability to delete a topic on a forum or discussion board. This is to maintain the integrity and organization of the forum.

4. Is it easy for a mod to delete a topic?

It depends on the platform and moderator's permissions. In some cases, it may be a simple click of a button, while in others, there may be a specific process or approval required.

5. What should I do if I accidentally posted a topic in the wrong section?

If you realize your mistake, the best course of action is to notify a moderator and explain the situation. They will be able to assist you in deleting the topic or moving it to the correct section.