Identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Galerkin method to perform integration by parts in order to have the same derivative orders for u and v. The speaker mentions trying to use a product rule and finding identities involving the gradient of u and v. They are unsure if their approach is correct and ask for help, specifically mentioning Green's First Identity.
dakg

Homework Statement

I have [itex]$\int \nabla^2 \vec{u} \cdot \vec{v} dV$[/itex] where u and v are velocities integrated over a volume. I want to perform integration by parts so that the derivative orders are the same. This is the Galerkin method.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found identities involving [itex]$\nabla \vec{u}$[/itex] and [itex]$\nabla \vec{v}$[/itex] as a tensor scalar product and I have tried to work out a product rule:
[itex]$\nabla \cdot (\vec{v} \cdot \nabla \vec{u}) = \nabla \vec{u} : \nabla \vec{v} = \nabla^2 \vec{u} \cdot \vec{v}$[/itex].

I am having trouble figuring out if this is correct. I know i have scalars on the right hand side. On the left hand side I have the divergence of a vector dotted with a tensor, which I think will lead to a scalar.

Any help is most appreciated.

Thank you,
dakg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it Green's First Identity that I need? Does it hold for vectors?

Last edited:

Related to Identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector

1. What is the definition of "Identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector"?

The identity for the Laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector is a mathematical formula that relates the Laplacian operator to the dot product of two vectors. It is commonly used in vector calculus and differential equations.

2. How is the identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector derived?

The identity is derived using the properties of the Laplacian operator and the dot product of vectors. It can be derived using vector calculus techniques such as the chain rule and the product rule.

3. What is the significance of the identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector?

The identity is significant because it allows for the simplification of complex vector equations involving the Laplacian operator. It also enables the use of vector calculus techniques to solve problems involving the Laplacian operator.

4. Can the identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector be applied in any situation?

Yes, the identity can be applied in various situations where the Laplacian operator and vector calculus are involved. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

5. Are there any limitations to the use of the identity for laplacian of a vector dotted with a vector?

While the identity is a useful tool, it may not be applicable in all situations. It is important to understand the properties and assumptions of the Laplacian operator and vector calculus before applying the identity to a problem.