Identifying trails in a Cloud Chamber

In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a cloud chamber and how different particles can be identified based on their tracks. It is noted that the curve of the track can indicate the charge and energy of the particle, while the length of the track can provide clues about its lifetime. Additionally, steps can be taken to restrict the types of particles that are likely to be seen.
Sweeney
I was thinking of making a cloud chamber and have looked at several videos on them. I noticed several different types of trails and was wondering if anyone can identify which particles they belong to i.e. alpha, beta, muon. I'm am particularly interested in Muons and I won't be using any radioactive materials so background radiation is the only thing I need to be worried about. If it helps you can refer to this video .

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tracks are identified by deduction ... you know the basic properties of the different particles after all, so you can predict how they should behave in your device.

The curve of the track tells you the charge and gives clues about the energy.
The length of the tracks provide clues about the lifetime.
The way the tracks branch when a particle decays also gives clues about what decayed into what.

You also take steps to restrict what sort of particles you are likely to see.

As a rule of thumb:
thick, short tracks: alpha
thin tracks with curves or corners: electrons
thin tracks without curves and corners: muons

Simon Bridge said:
The curve of the track tells you the charge and gives clues about the energy.
This needs a significant magnetic field.
The length of the tracks provide clues about the lifetime.
Without a particle accelerator, most tracks should come from stable (or long-living, in case of muons) particles.

Related to Identifying trails in a Cloud Chamber

1. What is a cloud chamber?

A cloud chamber is a scientific instrument used to detect and track charged particles, such as electrons and alpha particles, that pass through it. It works by creating a supersaturated vapor environment, which allows the particles to leave a visible trail as they pass through.

2. How does a cloud chamber work?

A cloud chamber works by creating a supersaturated vapor environment using a mixture of water vapor and alcohol. When a charged particle passes through the chamber, it ionizes the vapor molecules, causing them to condense into visible droplets along the particle's path. This creates a visible trail that can be captured on camera or observed directly.

3. What types of particles can be detected in a cloud chamber?

A cloud chamber can detect and track a variety of charged particles, including electrons, alpha particles, beta particles, and cosmic rays. It can also detect neutral particles, such as photons, if they interact with the vapor molecules and create a charged particle that can be detected.

4. Why is identifying trails in a cloud chamber important?

Identifying trails in a cloud chamber is important for studying the properties of charged particles and their interactions with matter. It can also help in identifying unknown particles and understanding the origins of cosmic rays. Additionally, cloud chambers are used in particle physics research and can provide valuable insights into the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Are there any limitations to using a cloud chamber?

Yes, there are some limitations to using a cloud chamber. One of the main limitations is that it can only detect and track charged particles. Neutral particles, such as neutrons, will not leave a trail in a cloud chamber. Additionally, the size of the chamber and the duration of the experiment can also limit the types of particles that can be detected and observed.