Identifying Discontinuities in a Function on a Given Interval

In summary, the task is to graph the function (X^2-2x+1)^1/3 on the interval (-4,4) and identify any points where the function is not differentiable. The student is having trouble graphing the function and identifying the points of discontinuity. They question whether the function must touch the points on the interval to be continuous or if it does not exist.
TMNT

Homework Statement

Grapher: Graph each function on (-4,4), and identify the point(s) at which the function is not differentiable.

Homework Equations

Graph F(X) = (X^2-2x+1)^1/3 on [4,-4] and Identify any points of discontinuity.

The Attempt at a Solution

I plugged in the F(x) equation on my calculator and I don't how to graph it on [-4,4]? I tried tracing the F(X) graph but I don't see the graph hitting the pt [-4.4] anywhere, am I doing this wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org

Another thing after thinking about it a bit more, when it says Graph it on [-4,4] does it mean that the F(x) equation has to to touch that point? If it does its continous? If it doesn't it does not exist?

Related to Identifying Discontinuities in a Function on a Given Interval

1. What does it mean to "graph a function"?

Graphing a function involves plotting points on a coordinate plane to visually represent the relationship between the input and output values of the function. This allows us to better understand the behavior and patterns of the function.

2. What is the significance of the range (-4,4)?

The range (-4,4) indicates the interval or section of the x-axis where we will graph the function. In this case, it means we will graph the function for all input values between -4 and 4 (excluding the endpoints).

3. How do I know which points to plot on the graph?

To graph a function, you can choose any input value within the given range (-4,4) and plug it into the function to find the corresponding output value. Repeat this process for several input values and plot the points on the graph. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to help you plot the points.

4. Are there any specific guidelines for graphing a function?

Yes, there are a few guidelines to follow when graphing a function on a coordinate plane. First, label the x and y-axis with appropriate units. Then, plot the points accurately and connect them with a smooth curve. Finally, include a title and a key/legend if necessary.

5. What information can we gather from a graph of a function on (-4,4)?

The graph of a function on (-4,4) can give us information about the behavior of the function, such as its increasing or decreasing intervals, its maximum and minimum points, and its symmetry (if any). It can also help us identify any patterns or relationships between the input and output values of the function.