Identifying Different Radioactive Balls Easily

In summary: Pretty fast these days. The interesting thing is that the decay rate is highly non-linear lately. I observed no decay in the first 20 years, a linear decay in the next ten years, somewhat of a geometric rate in years 30- 40, but since year 40 the rate appears to be exponential.
dark_vader93
There are 2 radioactive balls, which have the same radius and the same weight. They are covered with absorbing layer. They are made of diffrent materials, with other half-life. What is the easiest way to recognise which is which?
I had searched for the answer for a longer time and could not find out. Please for help.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by an absorbing layer? Do you mean the layer absorbs all of the radiated particles and energy from the radioactivity?

You could, in principle, measure a change in densities somehow? ( Hint.)

If you had the 2 balls with different levels of radiactivity immersed ( frak - I had to look up how to spell that word ) in separate baths of water in inslolated containers each with thermal instrumentation, could you devise a way to tell them apart?

thank you very much. that's a great idea to measure their densities or temperatures. i think, that one with density is the easiest one. you put them in water and the ball which has longer half-life would move down faster.

Last edited:
daveb said:
What do you mean by an absorbing layer? Do you mean the layer absorbs all of the radiated particles and energy from the radioactivity?

yes.

dark_vader93 said:
thank you very much. that's a great idea to measure their densities or temperatures. i think, that one with density is the easiest one. you put them in water and the ball which has longer half-life would move down faster.

But remember, the problem, I think, demands that all products of the reaction stay within the ball. So how would you measures density change and 'which' densities would change?

I vote for spinning the ball. If there is a layer (like skin) absorbing the radiated particles, then the moment of inertia of the balls should change at different rates.

Matterwave said:
I vote for spinning the ball. If there is a layer (like skin) absorbing the radiated particles, then the moment of inertia of the balls should change at different rates.

Go for it my son.

My g/f says I have two radioactive balls. ;-)

Last edited:
How fast are they decaying?

> How fast are they decaying?

Pretty fast these days. The interesting thing is that the decay rate is highly non-linear lately. I observed no decay in the first 20 years, a linear decay in the next ten years, somewhat of a geometric rate in years 30- 40, but since year 40 the rate appears to be exponential.

I have no rational explanation for my observations.

Use it or lose it my friend. No reason for things to fizzle out before the age of ninety!

Related to Identifying Different Radioactive Balls Easily

1. How can radioactive balls be identified?

Radioactive balls can be identified by using a Geiger counter, which measures the amount of radiation emitted by the balls. The higher the radiation level, the more radioactive the ball is likely to be.

2. What are some physical characteristics of radioactive balls?

Radioactive balls may have a glowing or fluorescent appearance, as well as a distinct smell. They may also feel warm to the touch due to the energy released through radioactive decay.

3. What is the difference between alpha, beta, and gamma radiation from radioactive balls?

Alpha radiation consists of positively charged particles, beta radiation consists of negatively charged particles, and gamma radiation is a form of electromagnetic radiation. These types of radiation differ in their ability to penetrate materials and their potential health effects.

4. How can I safely handle radioactive balls?

It is important to always wear protective gear, such as gloves and a lab coat, when handling radioactive materials. It is also crucial to follow proper safety protocols and dispose of the balls properly after use.

5. Can radioactive balls be detected without specialized equipment?

In some cases, radioactive balls may emit enough radiation to be detected without specialized equipment. However, using a Geiger counter or other detection device is the most accurate way to identify and measure the radiation from radioactive balls.