Identify Fan Power with Ohm Meter: AC Power Supply

• Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fan Power
In summary: Those meters work with high frequency and you can see the power absorbed on the frequency. But in this case, the power is not related to the resistance at all.
pixel01
Hi guys

I suddenly think of a question. In my home, there's a standing fan which is old so I cannot see the nominal power on the label. With a ohm meter, can I identify the power of the fan? The meter can measure resistance R, potential U and current I of an AC power supply.

(This thread was posted in general engineering already, I hope to have more answers in this box)

Physics news on Phys.org
usually power is Voltage x Current...but i don't know if there's an addition to that for AC current

You can't measure the power in AC just multiplying voltage by current. The reason is that the sinusoids of voltage and current are not in phase. That is, they do not reach their maximum at the same time. With a two channel oscilloscope you could visualize the tension and add a small resistor in series to visualize simultaneously the current (beware the earth/ground of the mains and the oscilloscope). You could see two sinusoids shifted and measure the phase difference [tex]\theta[/tex]. Then the power of the device can be calculated:
[tex]P=V\cdot I\cdot \cos \theta [/tex]
Here V and I are the RMS of voltage and current values as measured with a multimeter.

For resistances the phase difference or "phase angle" is zero. But for motors and other inductive devices it is far from zero and you can't ignore it.

Anyhow you van be sure that the real power is not greater than [tex]P=V\cdot I[/tex]

No you cannot find the power of the fan with an ohm meter.
The ohm meter will give you the resistance of some coil of the motor.
The power absorbed is nearly unrelated to this resistance.
This is easy to understand:
Imagine that you remove this coil from the motor, you will still measure the same resistance, but this will not be related in any way to the power of the motor.
The power depends, among other things, on the rotation speed, as well as the utilisation of the motor. If the friction of the fan is higher, the power absorbed might increase. It might also decrease if this friction blocks the motor, and then only will the power be related to the (static) resistance.

In summary, this resistance just indicates you the power that will be absorbed when the motor is blocked.

Last edited:
lalbatros said:
In summary, this resistance just indicates you the power that will be absorbed when the motor is blocked.

Yes. And this power is just the product of this resistance times the current when the motor is blocked. This current can be measured with an AC ammeter (but hurry-up please).

And this current is not the mains voltage divided by the resistance. For a fan it is far lower.
It is limited by the impedance due to the inductance of the motor.

It is limited by the impedance due to the inductance of the motor.

If the Ohm meter works by DC probing, the inductance of the motor will play no role.
If the Ohm meter works with "high" frequencies, the impedance will be dominated by the inductance.
In none of these cases will this measurement be useful to determined the absorbed power.
The absorbed power depends on the rotation speed and on the load of the motor.

lalbatross: You should read again, more attentively, the previous posts. Your post do not makes sense.

On ohmmeter works always in DC. Some devices work in AC but they are usually called Impedance meters, Capacimeters, etc.

Related to Identify Fan Power with Ohm Meter: AC Power Supply

What is an Ohm Meter and how does it work?

An Ohm Meter, also known as a multimeter, is a tool used to measure electrical resistance. It works by sending a small amount of electrical current through a circuit and measuring the resulting voltage. By knowing the voltage and current, the resistance can be calculated using Ohm's Law (R = V/I).

Why is it important to identify fan power with an Ohm Meter?

Identifying fan power with an Ohm Meter is important because it allows you to determine the correct amount of power needed to operate the fan. This ensures that the fan is receiving the appropriate amount of electrical current and prevents potential damage or malfunction.

What is AC power supply and how does it relate to fan power?

AC (alternating current) power supply is the type of electrical current that is commonly used in homes and buildings. It is important to identify fan power with an Ohm Meter because the fan's power supply will likely be AC, and the Ohm Meter can accurately measure the resistance of the fan in this type of circuit.

How do you use an Ohm Meter to identify fan power?

To identify fan power with an Ohm Meter, you will need to set the Meter to the resistance (Ohms) setting. Then, touch the two leads of the Meter to the two wires of the fan. The Meter should display a resistance reading, which can be used to determine the correct power supply for the fan.

Are there any safety precautions when using an Ohm Meter to identify fan power?

Yes, it is important to always use caution when working with electrical currents. Make sure to turn off the power supply before testing the fan with the Ohm Meter. Also, be sure to follow all safety instructions and guidelines provided by the manufacturer of the Ohm Meter.