Ideas for work experience for Chem. Eng, E.E. or physics?

In summary, the speaker is interested in studying Chemical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering, or Physics at university and is looking for work experience opportunities. They have connections in E.E. and are struggling to find opportunities in Chemical Engineering and Physics. They are considering business areas like investment banking or computer science as alternative options. They have access to a database for work experience providers but have not been able to find any relevant opportunities for physics.
rollcast
I'm interested in studying Chemical Engineering, Electrical and Electronic Engineering (I'm more interested in Electronic) or Physics at university. I'm looking to get some work experience days for after my GCSEs. I have 4 days at the end of June for work experience (I also could get more through the summer but its at the school boards discretion for liability insurance)

I'm pretty much sorted for E.E. experience as my dad works in that field and has got some contacts for HV engineering (Designing/making transformers and gen sets), the local power company and a place that designs and makes bespoke control panels. I am going to look for some where that does Electronics but at least have some places.

Chemical engineering is a bit more difficult as there's not that many places do it locally but I'm not too worried about experience for it as my schools careers advisor said that unis pretty much don't expect many people to get experience in the field due to the insurance issues involved. I think a family friend does mechanical engineering for large pipework systems at factorys so that would be about as close as I could probably get.

I'm really stuck for physics though as the careers advisor said that the local uni does have very many placements and that they are normally limited to a couple of places and they normally go to AS level students.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest any business areas to look that would be relevant to physics. I was thinking on either investment banking / banking or computer science as I know people who work in both of those areas?

Thanks
A.

Physics news on Phys.org
I managed to get a copy of the schools database for work experience providers but I can't find any for physics in the last 6 years. The closest I found was a contact for a research at a local astronomy research group but its not really close to where I live and my parents don't work anywhere near to it that I could get a lift.

Related to Ideas for work experience for Chem. Eng, E.E. or physics?

1. What types of companies offer work experience for Chem. Eng, E.E. or physics?

Many companies in the fields of chemical engineering, electrical engineering, and physics offer work experience opportunities. These can include large corporations, research institutions, government agencies, and even startups.

2. How can I find work experience opportunities in these fields?

One way to find work experience opportunities is to research companies in your area or in areas where you would like to work. You can also reach out to your university's career center or professors to see if they have any connections or recommendations. Attend career fairs and networking events to make connections with potential employers.

3. What skills can I expect to gain from work experience in these fields?

Work experience in Chem. Eng, E.E., or physics can help you develop a wide range of skills, including problem-solving, critical thinking, communication, technical knowledge, and teamwork. You may also gain experience using specialized software and equipment.

4. Can work experience in these fields lead to job opportunities?

Yes, work experience can often lead to job opportunities in these fields. If you perform well during your work experience, you may be offered a full-time job or be able to use your experience as a stepping stone to other job opportunities.

5. Is work experience necessary for a successful career in Chem. Eng, E.E., or physics?

Work experience is not always necessary for a successful career in these fields, but it can greatly enhance your skills, knowledge, and job prospects. It can also give you a better understanding of the industry and help you determine which specific area you may want to focus on in your career.