Ideas for Physics/Science/Engineering Nerd Scout Merit Badges

• Thread starter MissSilvy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary, this person is doing a project in their spare time this summer which involves making badges for different skills. They have sourced a distributor and are looking for ideas for badges.
MissSilvy
I'm doing a project in my spare time this summer which involves making. My university has over 5,000 students in science, math, and engineering and I've come up with the idea to make and sell 'nerd scout' merit badges. This is much like the Science Scouts which is just a bit of fun nerd culture:

http://www.scq.ubc.ca/sciencescouts/

I'm doing this purely for fun but having sourced a distributor with reasonable prices, I need a few ideas. The badges would be sold with little markup and the profits split among our local physics outreach group, Engineers Without Borders, and so on. We've gotten a lot of interest from clubs and individuals, now just for a few prototypes.

Any badges ideas in a field you've studied in are great. So far I have a few, like "Level I machinist", "Knows more than two programming languages", "I can use Green's functions", "Soldering", "Circuit Board Design", and so on. It can be any skill, subject, class, or just funny ("I punch moon landing deniers"). I asked a few clubs, but I figured my fellow nerds at PF could come up with more than a few great ideas. If I actually get this running, I'd be happy to post pictures for you guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
MissSilvy said:
I'm doing a project in my spare time this summer which involves making...

...Any badges ideas in a field you've studied in are great. So far I have a few, like "Level I machinist", "Knows more than two programming languages", "I can use Green's functions", "Soldering", "Circuit Board Design", and so on. It can be any skill, subject, class, or just funny ("I punch moon landing deniers"). I asked a few clubs, but I figured my fellow nerds at PF could come up with more than a few great ideas. If I actually get this running, I'd be happy to post pictures for you guys.

How about:

"Mad Multimeter Skills"

Level I, or you might say "First Degree" (for Ohmmeter experience);
Level II (Ammeter);
Level III (Voltmeter);
Level IV (I can use that thing for transistors).

Incidentally, I'd have to exclude myself on that last one (never had a use for that).

Related to Ideas for Physics/Science/Engineering Nerd Scout Merit Badges

1. What are some potential ideas for Physics/Science/Engineering Nerd Scout Merit Badges?

Some potential ideas for Physics/Science/Engineering Nerd Scout Merit Badges could include topics such as coding, robotics, renewable energy, space exploration, and biotechnology. These badges could also focus on specific skills or projects within these broader topics, such as building a working circuit or designing a sustainable building.

2. How can these merit badges be made accessible to all scouts?

These merit badges can be made accessible to all scouts by providing alternative options for completing the requirements. For example, for a badge that involves building a physical project, an alternative option could be to create a virtual simulation of the project. Additionally, accommodations can be made for scouts with disabilities or financial limitations to ensure they can still earn the merit badge.

3. Are these merit badges appropriate for all ages?

Yes, these merit badges can be adapted for all ages. For younger scouts, the requirements can be simplified or the use of certain materials can be substituted. Older scouts can be challenged with more complex projects or research-based requirements.

4. How can these merit badges promote diversity and inclusion in STEM fields?

These merit badges can promote diversity and inclusion in STEM fields by featuring diverse role models and highlighting the contributions of underrepresented groups in these fields. The requirements can also include activities that encourage collaboration and teamwork, promoting a sense of inclusion among scouts of different backgrounds.

5. Can these merit badges be integrated into existing scout programs?

Yes, these merit badges can be integrated into existing scout programs. They can be added as optional badges or incorporated into existing badges that relate to similar topics. Scout leaders can also collaborate with STEM professionals or local organizations to provide resources and support for earning these merit badges.