Idea i got in honors chemistry

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of using electron screening to modify the alpha-decay lifetime of elements, specifically element 119. However, after some research, it was found that this method would not be effective due to the cancellation of effects on the alpha particle energy and coulomb barrier height. It was also noted that certain isotopes may have their decay rate affected by changes in the negative charge surrounding the nucleus. The conversation ended with a welcoming and encouragement to continue asking interesting questions.
Rattygoner
im only 17 and have recently joined an honors chemistry class and i found that people are trying to make new elements. now i have already heard about this before but recently i have been interested. i don't know if this has been tried before i don't know but i was wondering if you take element 119 and you put it inside of something with a negative charge like a really strong one would it keep the element together for a longer period of time by like strengthening the atoms? i have been thinking about this for a while and i don't know I am just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
What an interesting question! My first response was "of course not", but I did some research, and there's actually a paper about this!

Not for super-heavies in particular, but the paper addresses the question of whether electron screening by embedding the isotope in metal can modify the alpha-decay lifetime of elements. The answer, it turns out is no. http://arxiv.org/pdf/nucl-th/0608049.pdf . It's a bit tricky, but from skimming the paper, it looks like the reduction in the alpha particle energy (which would increase the amount of time the superheavy element sticks together) is pretty much canceled out with the reduction of the coulomb barrier height (which would decrease the amount of time the superheavy element sticks together), making the whole thing a wash.

Notably, there are certain isotopes for which changing the negative charge (electrons) surrounding the nucleus changes the decay rate - nuclei which decay via electron capture - if there are no electrons around, they can't decay that way.

And welcome to PF! Keep asking cool questions.

Related to Idea i got in honors chemistry

1. What was the idea you got in honors chemistry?

The idea I got in honors chemistry was to develop a more efficient and sustainable method for producing hydrogen gas using renewable resources.

2. How did you come up with this idea?

I came up with this idea through my research on alternative energy sources during my honors chemistry class. I noticed that current methods of producing hydrogen gas often rely on non-renewable resources and have negative environmental impacts, which sparked my interest in finding a better solution.

3. What is the significance of this idea?

This idea has the potential to greatly reduce our dependence on non-renewable resources for producing hydrogen gas, which is a crucial component in fuel cells and other sustainable energy technologies. It also has the potential to decrease carbon emissions and mitigate climate change.

4. Have you conducted any experiments or tests for this idea?

Yes, I have conducted several experiments in the lab to test the effectiveness of different catalysts and reaction conditions for producing hydrogen gas using renewable resources. I am also planning to conduct larger scale experiments in the future to further develop this idea.

5. What are your plans for pursuing this idea further?

I plan to continue researching and experimenting with this idea in order to refine and improve the process. I also hope to collaborate with other scientists and engineers to bring this idea to fruition and make a positive impact on the environment and energy industry.