Ice Fort Building: From Year 1 to 3

In summary,] So, my friends and I build ice forts each year (well, not last year... not enough snow). Each year they get a little more ambitious as we apply our previously learned trade-skills to the next generation. I thought I would share a bit here; we just started work on the third generation over this last weekend. Dimensions given are the outside wall dimensions and the walls are fairly thick (anywhere between 2' and 4' thick).
FlexGunship
Gold Member
So, my friends and I build ice forts each year (well, not last year... not enough snow). Each year they get a little more ambitious as we apply our previously learned trade-skills to the next generation. I thought I would share a bit here; we just started work on the third generation over this last weekend. Dimensions given are the outside wall dimensions and the walls are fairly thick (anywhere between 2' and 4' thick).

Sorry ladies, Flex isn't in ANY of these pictures.

First Generation (15'x25'):
P1160206.JPG

P1160208.JPG

100_0379.jpg

P1160210.JPG

DSCF0827.JPG

DSCF0821.JPG

100_0358.jpg

100_0380.jpg

100_0382.jpg

100_0385.jpg

100_0366.jpg

Second Generation (18'x30'):
Picture%20914.jpg

Picture%20916.jpg

Picture%20915.jpg

Picture%20942.jpg

Picture%20943.jpg

Picture%20918.jpg

Picture%20919.jpg

Picture%20923.jpg

Picture%20925.jpg

Picture%20934.jpg

Picture%20948.jpg

IceFort_resize.jpg

Third Generation (In Progress - ~20'x~45')
IMG_20110129_165839.jpg

IMG_20110129_165910.jpg

IMG_20110201_184119.jpg

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Awesome forts! Haha, is the bandwidth warning for Canadians?

Kevin_Axion said:
Awesome forts! Haha, is the bandwidth warning for Canadians?

Meh, just trying to be polite. Some people don't enjoy the feeling of opening a photo-heavy thread only to have to wait 3 seconds.

Yea, I was just wondering because there has been a lot of discussion over the past week with our telecommunications oligopoly. They have restricted the growth of U.S telecommunications companies into Canada and then they charge maximum amount with giving the least possible. Last week they reduced our internet usage from 60 GB to 25 GB and charge $2 for every 1 MB over. I know in the U.S it is common for people to get up to 500 GB, it's really unfair but I'm sure we have it better then other countries.

Last edited:

FlexGunship said:
Meh, just trying to be polite. Some people don't enjoy the feeling of opening a photo-heavy thread only to have to wait 3 seconds.
Ever heard of dial-up? :mad:

Impressive structures FG!

Astronuc said:
Impressive structures FG!

Thanks! They take a lot of man-hours. We did the base of the long wall in about 3 hours with 8 people working.

The LEOs look happy. They just stop by to say hi?

berkeman said:
The LEOs look happy. They just stop by to say hi?

Kind of... they got a noise complaint. Told us to quite down, then, of course, wanted to hang for a few minutes. Also... how did you know what their signs were?

Ok, so I find that to be super cool! If I lived in an area where I could do that, I soooo would! Did you guys just get super bored? lol

mcknia07 said:
Ok, so I find that to be super cool! If I lived in an area where I could do that, I soooo would! Did you guys just get super bored? lol

No, not really, actually. Boredom didn't play a part. It was a pretty conscious decision.

"Let's do something awesome."
"Like what?"
"Build an awesome ice fort and throw a party."
"I'll get the paper and pencils."

FlexGunship said:
No, not really, actually. Boredom didn't play a part. It was a pretty conscious decision.

"Let's do something awesome."
"Like what?"
"Build an awesome ice fort and throw a party."
"I'll get the paper and
pencils."

I find that super cool! Can I be your friend?? :)

A good ice cave/fort can be quite comfortable! I built a bona-fide igloo in Washington during the month-long January snow records of 2003. It lasted a month, and I spent a week of days roughout the month sleeping in it. I almost always had a small fire going, and used a thick thermarest pad beneath my sleeping bag. I don't think the temp got below 40 degrees on the inside, even when the temps on the outside was in the teens. Even more importantly, the internal thermal radiation is highly reflected back to the inside. When the fire is just to one side of the center, and the person is just to the other, the fire's heat reflection is fairly well focused on person.

It's little wonder a family snuggled in nothing more than bear-skin rugs in an iglo can survive 50 deg F below blizzards in style.

mcknia07 said:
I find that super cool! Can I be your friend?? :)

That would be great! Would you like an application?

Last edited:
If you ever get the opportunity, I recommend you check out Michigan Tech's winter carnival.

[PLAIN]http://www.womansday.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/01-wd1209-fairy-tales/836701-1-eng-US/01-wd1209-Fairy-Tales.jpg

[URL]http://www.upfirst.com/UPfirstNaturalFridaysPictures/amtuice2.jpg[/URL]

I think you would fit in very well there.

Last edited by a moderator:
FlexGunship said:
That would be great! Would you like an application?

Yes please! :)

Beer pong on ice...YES.

Topher925 said:
If you ever get the opportunity, I recommend you check out Michigan Tech's winter carnival.

[PLAIN]http://www.womansday.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/media/images/01-wd1209-fairy-tales/836701-1-eng-US/01-wd1209-Fairy-Tales.jpg

[URL]http://www.upfirst.com/UPfirstNaturalFridaysPictures/amtuice2.jpg[/URL]

I think you would fit in very well there.

Brings back lots of memories. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Ice Fort Building: From Year 1 to 3

1. How do you choose the right location for building an ice fort?

The most important factor when choosing a location for an ice fort is safety. Look for a flat and sturdy surface that is free of cracks or holes. Avoid areas near moving water or where the ice may be thin. It is also important to consider the direction of the sun and wind to prevent melting or collapsing of the fort.

2. What materials are needed for building an ice fort?

The main material needed for building an ice fort is, of course, ice. This can be gathered from a frozen lake or created using large molds. Other materials that may be helpful include snow, water, and tools such as shovels and buckets. Optional materials include food coloring for a fun touch and decorative items such as flags or lights.

3. How can you make an ice fort last longer?

To make an ice fort last longer, it is important to build it on a cold day when the temperature is below freezing. Additionally, make sure to pack the snow and ice tightly and evenly to ensure a strong structure. You can also spray water on the fort once it's built to create a smooth and hard exterior, which will help prevent melting.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when building an ice fort?

Safety should always be a top priority when building an ice fort. Make sure to have an adult supervising at all times, especially when using tools or near bodies of water. Wear appropriate winter gear such as gloves and boots to prevent frostbite. It is also a good idea to have a plan in case of an emergency, such as a designated adult who can call for help if needed.

5. How can you involve children of different ages in building an ice fort?

Building an ice fort can be a fun and educational activity for children of all ages. For younger children (ages 1-3), they can help gather materials and pack snow. For children aged 4-6, they can assist in building the fort and decorating it. Older children (ages 7-12) can take on more responsibilities, such as measuring and designing the fort. It is important to always supervise children and assign age-appropriate tasks.