I with an integral 2x dx /(x^2+y^2)^3/2

In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with an integral problem involving a substitution. The student is not confident in their calculus skills and needs assistance with going from the given integral (i) to the desired result (ii). They mention using a substitution and ask for clarification, referring to a similar problem in their physics textbook. Another user suggests using a substitution of u=x^2+y^2 and explains how it simplifies the integral. The student thanks everyone for their help and mentions successfully solving the problem.
astenroo

Homework Statement

I need help with an integral, since my calculus skills aren't the greatest. I need help with getting from this

[tex]\pi[/tex]k[tex]\sigma[/tex]y[tex]\int[/tex] [tex]\frac{2x dx}{(x^{2} + y ^{2})^{3/2}}[/tex] (i)

to this

[tex]\pi[/tex]k[tex]\sigma[/tex]y[tex]\frac{-2}{(x^{2} + y ^{2})^{1/2}}[/tex] (ii)

I integrate from 0 to a (didn't know how to get the limits into TeX in (i) and the gargantuan brackets going on either side in (ii).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Am I supposed to do a substitution here or? In my physics textbook I saw the numerator of (i) written as d(x^2) and the denumerator unchanged as the following step. Now, I believe I have two functions here that i need to integrate 2x and 1/(x^2+y^2)^3/2.

Physics news on Phys.org
From the looks of it, I think they have y2 as constant. So all you need to do is make a substitution like u=x2+y2.

This is straightforward when u notice that [tex](x^2+y^2)'=2x[/tex]. So just substitute [tex]z=x^2+y^2[/tex] and u ll have [tex]dz=2xdx[/tex] and the integral becomes

[tex]\int z^{-3/2} dz[/tex]

Thank you for your replies. I actually managed to solve the integral, but haven't been able to log on to the forum earlier. I did the u substitution and it worked fine fine. Thank you all again for your help!

Related to I with an integral 2x dx /(x^2+y^2)^3/2

1. What is the purpose of the integral in this equation?

The integral in this equation is used to find the area under the curve of the function represented by 2x dx /(x^2+y^2)^3/2. This area is also known as the "signed area" because it takes into account the direction of the function.

2. What does the symbol "dx" represent in this equation?

The symbol "dx" represents the infinitesimal change in the variable x. It is used to indicate that the integral is being taken with respect to x.

3. How do you solve this integral?

This integral can be solved using the substitution method or by converting it into a polar coordinate form. Both methods involve breaking down the integral into simpler forms and using mathematical techniques to find the solution.

4. What is the significance of the term (x^2+y^2)^3/2 in this equation?

This term is known as the "denominator" of the function and it represents the distance of a point (x,y) from the origin in a 2-dimensional coordinate system. This term is important because it affects the shape of the graph and can determine if the function is continuous or not.

5. Can this integral be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integrals are used in various real-world applications such as calculating the area under a curve in physics, determining the volume of a solid in engineering, and finding the displacement of an object in motion in calculus. This particular integral can be used in applications involving electromagnetism and fluid mechanics.