I want to go into biomedical engineering....

In summary, the speaker is a junior in high school who received a 1400 on their PSATs and has the potential to become a national merit scholar in Texas. Their physics teacher suggested they attend a better school than their dream college, Texas A&M, but the speaker is seeking advice on whether to stick with their dream school or explore other options.
Japowell98
Howdy y'all! I'm currently a junior in high school and everyone got their psat scores yesterday. I looked my score up with my physics teacher during AP physics and saw that I got a 1400 and an index score of 210 (which according to online projections would make me a national merit scholar in Texas). When my teacher saw my score, he asked what college I wanted to go to and I replied with my dream college of Texas A&M. He scoffed at me and said I should go to a better school. So anyway, I was wondering if anyone had good advice on whether I should go to Texas A&M or look around at "better" schools. Thanks in advance and any tips are appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Japowell98 said:
Texas A&M
You're a junior. You're in Texas. You've pretty much got it made as long as you stay in Texas.

Likes Japowell98

Related to I want to go into biomedical engineering....

What is biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a field that combines principles of engineering, biology, and medicine to develop innovative solutions for healthcare. It involves designing and creating medical equipment, devices, and systems, as well as analyzing and solving medical problems using engineering principles.

What are the job prospects for biomedical engineering?

The job prospects for biomedical engineering are very promising. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in this field is projected to grow 5% from 2019 to 2029, which is much faster than the average for all occupations. This is due to an aging population and the increasing demand for medical devices and technologies.

What education and skills are required for a career in biomedical engineering?

Most biomedical engineering positions require at least a bachelor's degree in biomedical engineering or a related field. Other relevant degrees include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and chemical engineering. In addition to technical skills, strong problem-solving, communication, and teamwork skills are also important for success in this field.

What are some areas of specialization in biomedical engineering?

Biomedical engineering is a broad field with many areas of specialization. Some common specializations include tissue engineering, biomaterials, medical imaging, biomechanics, and medical devices. Within each specialization, there are numerous sub-disciplines and opportunities to focus on specific medical applications or technologies.

What is the difference between biomedical engineering and other related fields?

Biomedical engineering is often confused with other related fields such as bioengineering and biotechnology. While these fields do overlap in certain areas, biomedical engineering specifically focuses on the application of engineering principles to solve medical problems. This includes designing medical devices, developing new medical technologies, and improving existing healthcare systems.