I want to build a particle accelerator

In summary, the conversation is about a person wanting to build a particle accelerator but being advised against it due to safety concerns and the complexity of the project. Instead, they are suggested to look into building a cloud chamber as a safer alternative.
Avalon_18
Yes it sounds like I've lost it but I really want to build one. I was wondering is someone could guide me to useful resources. I'm currently reading some patents I found online to gain some more insight. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thread closed briefly for Moderation...

@Avalon_18 -- Sorry, but we are not able to help you much on this. It is not really something that can be done safely outside of a university lab type environment. You need to be able to work safely with high voltages, with the high vacuum systems and containments required, and you need to understand and guard against the X-rays that are generated by accelerating charges in the containment (and decelerating them at the target). Not exactly a good beginner project -- maybe in your upper division work at university, see if you can help out in one of the physics labs that deals with these kinds of issues. You will probably enjoy that a lot.

You might consider instead looking into building a cloud chamber. They can be pretty fascinating, and you will learn a lot (and building small ones is much safer than trying to tackle particle accelerators). Best of luck, and keep on learning about science! :smile:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cloud_chamber

upload_2019-1-8_13-23-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-1-8_13-23-17.png
    upload_2019-1-8_13-23-17.png
    52.9 KB · Views: 464
Likes hutchphd, davenn and phinds

Related to I want to build a particle accelerator

1. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using electromagnetic fields to accelerate particles to high speeds. The particles are then directed into a circular path using magnets, and as they travel around the circular path, they are accelerated even further. This process continues until the particles reach the desired energy level.

2. What materials are needed to build a particle accelerator?

Building a particle accelerator requires a variety of materials, including powerful magnets, vacuum chambers, radiofrequency cavities, and beam pipes. Additionally, a control system and data acquisition system are also necessary for operation and data collection.

3. How big does a particle accelerator have to be?

The size of a particle accelerator depends on its purpose and the energy level of the particles it needs to achieve. Generally, the higher the energy level, the larger the accelerator needs to be. For example, the Large Hadron Collider, the largest particle accelerator in the world, has a circumference of 27 kilometers.

4. What are the benefits of building a particle accelerator?

Particle accelerators have a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, chemistry, and medicine. They allow scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter, create new materials, and treat cancer and other diseases. Additionally, particle accelerators also have practical applications in industry, such as in the production of computer chips.

5. Are particle accelerators safe?

Particle accelerators are generally considered safe for both humans and the environment. The radiation produced by accelerators is tightly controlled and kept within safe levels. However, as with any scientific equipment, proper safety protocols must be followed to ensure the well-being of those working with or around the accelerator.