I still need someone smart to explain 2 me momentum and Impulse throughly .

In summary, the hunter needs to shoot enough bullets to reduce the leopard's momentum to zero in order to stop it. This can be calculated by taking the leopard's initial momentum and subtracting the momentum of each bullet, which is equal to the mass of the bullet multiplied by its velocity. This is an inelastic collision scenario.
devilz_krypt
I still need someone smart to explain 2 me momentum and Impulse throughly...

1. A hunter has rifle that can fire a.05 kg bullets with a speed of 900 m/s. A 40 kg leapord springs at him at 10 mm/s. How many bullets would the hunter need to stop the tiger dead in its tracks? How do you find the answer? Can someone please explain this problem step by step to me

Physics news on Phys.org

The leopard has momentum, p=m*v, so 40*10=400 [kg*m/s] (I'm assuming the leopard is going 10 m/s, not 10 millimeter per second, which would be awfull slow).

Everytime the hunter shoots a bullet, it's momentum is added to the leopard's. However, since p=m*v is actually a vector equation, we have to account for a minus sign since because the bullets are shot in the opposite direction in which the leopard is moving. So, effectively, each bullet takes some momentum from the leopard, subtracting it from the leopard's total momentum.

Now, each bullet has momentum p=m*v=0.05*900=45 [kg*m/s]. How many bullets should the hunter fire to reduce the leopard's momentum to zero?

yea that was a typo 10 m/s not 10 mm/s.

I'd just like to add that you can think of the bullet and the leopard as an inelastic collision.

By the way, this is kind of a gruesome physics question :biggrin:

Related to I still need someone smart to explain 2 me momentum and Impulse throughly .

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a physical quantity that describes the amount of motion an object has. It is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to mass and velocity?

Momentum is directly proportional to both mass and velocity. This means that an object with a larger mass or a higher velocity will have a greater momentum.

3. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. It is measured in units of kilogram-meters per second (kg m/s).

4. What is impulse?

Impulse is a measure of the change in an object's momentum over time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time over which the force acts.

5. How is impulse related to momentum?

Impulse is directly proportional to momentum. This means that a larger impulse will result in a larger change in momentum, and vice versa.