Kinematics problem(already have the answer, but i need an someone to explain it to me

In summary, the motorcycle catches up with the car after 4.14 seconds of accelerating at a rate of 7.00m/s^2 starting at t1 = 5.00s.
ihatecats2014

Homework Statement

A motorcycle is following a car that is traveling at constant speed on a straight highway. Initially, the car and the motorcycle are both traveling at the same speed of 48.0mph , and the distance between them is 60.0m . After t1 = 5.00s , the motorcycle starts to accelerate at a rate of 7.00m/s^2 . The motorcycle catches up with the car at some time t2

How long does it take from the moment when the motorcycle starts to accelerate until it catches up with the car?

the answer is 4.14s

i always seem to have problems with questions that are framed in this way. can someone walk me through the steps? help would be greatly appreciated

oh and these are the equations
x=Vot+1/2at^2
t2-t1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You can ignore the first part up until t1 = 5s as the distance between the two objects remain 60m.

What happens then is x1 - x2 = 0 where x1 = s1_0 + v1_0*t and x2 = s2_0 + v2_0*t + 1/2*a2*t^2.
(x_1 is not experiencing any acceleration so a1 would be 0)

We also know that s1_0-s2_0 = 60. Also v1_0 = v2_0. After rearranging:
s1_0 - s2_0 + v1_0*t - v2_0*t - 1/2*a2*t^2 = 0
1/2*a2*t^2 = 60.

Related to Kinematics problem(already have the answer, but i need an someone to explain it to me

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is a branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion. It involves understanding concepts such as position, velocity, and acceleration.

2. How do you solve kinematics problems?

To solve kinematics problems, you need to identify the given information, determine what you are trying to solve for, and choose the appropriate equations to use. Then, plug in the known values and solve for the unknown variable.

3. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is a scalar quantity that refers to the total length of the path traveled by an object. Displacement, on the other hand, is a vector quantity that refers to the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

4. How is velocity different from speed?

Velocity is a vector quantity that refers to the rate of change of an object's position in a specific direction. Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate of change of an object's position without considering the direction.

5. What is the relationship between acceleration and velocity?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, it is the change in velocity over time. Therefore, acceleration and velocity are directly related, and an object's acceleration can be determined by calculating the change in its velocity over time.