I on getting better math grades

• Thread starter austim14
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grades
In summary, if you are struggling in math, it's important to find resources to help you understand the material. Good grades come from practices, not from innate intelligence.
austim14
I passionately want to be a physicist. But I struggle in math. I'm currently getting a c in adv alg 2 with trig. Is a c a bad grade? If so any study tips for math?

Physics news on Phys.org
practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice practice

do as many problems as you can, use other books "for dummies" or "demystified" to help streamline the info so you understand it better, and then do the practice problems from the book.

practice problems are the key to good / great grades -- the more you do, the better you will get, and the better you will do on exams.

Don't be afraid to go to your instructor for additional help, or even seek out a tutor (many schools have them for 'free'). Sometimes some one on one time and/or a different perspective can mean the world for understanding.

A few pointed questions:

How much time are you spending outside of class doing homework?
What part of your grade is suffering? (weekly quizes, periodic exams, daily homework?)
Is this a high school or college course?

I'm not a huge fan of those "for dummies" books. I picked up Trig for dummies, and I learned way more by simply watching videos on Khanacademy.com. I also have the Differential Equations "for dummies" book and it's poor compared to my actual textbook, or the ocw.mit.edu notes/videos/lectures.

Khanacademy.com should be your best friend when it comes to understanding the topics. Aside from that, good grades really just come from practice. I'm not "smart" by any means, and just over a year ago I couldn't even solve a quadratic equation! By utilizing physicsforums homework help section, mit's lecture videos, khanacademy, my textbooks, and some other sources I have managed a 4.0 so far up to Calculus II (After 10 years out of high school). It just takes time + practice.

austim14 said:
I passionately want to be a physicist. But I struggle in math. I'm currently getting a c in adv alg 2 with trig. Is a c a bad grade? If so any study tips for math?

Hey austim14 and welcome to the forums.

One tip I recommend is to visit different sections of these forums. Visit the homework forums not only for your own problems, but also to read other problems people are having. Absorb that knowledge.

Also roam around in the non-homework forums. People will talk about a lot of different topics and sometimes that one thread will just open a lot of understanding.

Related to I on getting better math grades

1. How can I improve my math grades?

To improve your math grades, it is important to practice regularly and consistently. This means doing your homework, reviewing class notes, and seeking extra help if needed. Additionally, it is important to understand the concepts rather than just memorizing them, as this will help you apply them to different problems.

2. What study strategies can I use to get better at math?

Some effective study strategies for math include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps, using visual aids such as diagrams or graphs to understand concepts, and working with a study partner or group to review material and practice problems together.

3. How often should I practice math to see improvement?

It is recommended to practice math at least 3-4 times a week for about 30 minutes each session. This consistent practice will help you retain the material and improve your understanding of the subject.

4. What resources can I use to help me get better at math?

There are many resources available to help you improve your math skills, such as online tutorials, textbooks, practice worksheets, and tutoring services. Your teacher or school may also offer extra help sessions or study groups for students struggling with math.

5. What should I do if I'm still struggling to improve my math grades?

If you are still struggling to see improvement in your math grades, it is important to communicate with your teacher. They can provide you with personalized feedback and additional resources to help you improve. It may also be beneficial to seek out a tutor or attend a study group for extra support and practice.