I never learned what f(a, b) means..

• Thread starter ripcity4545
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Means
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining if two functions, f(a, b) = a + b and f(a, b) = ab(b+1)/2, are surjective. The definition of surjective is explained and it is determined that the first function is not surjective while the second function is. The conversation also discusses the concept of shorthand notation and the need for a proof to show that all natural numbers can be defined by the second function.
ripcity4545

Homework Statement

The problem is :

For the functions from N*N --> N, determine if the following functions are surjective:

f(a, b) = a + b

f(a, b) = ab(b+1)/2

Homework Equations

N is all natural numbers

The Attempt at a Solution

My problem is I know the definition of surjective, but I don't know what to do with f(a, b) because I've never seen this before. THanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
So, what's the definition of surjective? It's a good idea to start with it.

radou said:
So, what's the definition of surjective? It's a good idea to start with it.

for a function A-->B, (A is the domain and B is the range), a funtion is surjective if for each b in B, there is at least one x in A such that f(x)=b.

Okay, so the codomain B of the function equals the image. What about f(a, b) = a + b ? Is there some element of N which can't be expressed in this form?

1? I'm still not clear what f(a, b) means.

It is a shorthand convention for f((a,b)), for (a,b) in N×N. The x in your definition of surjective is an ordered pair in N×N.

Take some ordered pair of natural numbera (a, b). I assume you take 0 to be an element of the naturals. Let a = 0, so you have (0, b), where b can be any natural number. It is obvious that the image of the mapping f is N, since f(0, b) = 0 + b = b.

radou said:
I assume you take 0 to be an element of the naturals.

Sorry i forgot- 0 is not included in naturals in this case. but using your help, I got:

since the codomain is N, we can let f(a,b) = 1.
However, there are no a,b in N that satisfy a+b=1, so the function is not surjective.

Now I cannot find any counterexample of the second equation:

f(a, b) = ab(b+1)/2

but if this function is surjective, I would need to write a short proof, and I still am not sure on the concept.

f(a,b) means exactly what you are told- it is "shorthand" for "a+ b" in the first formula and ab(b+1)/2 in the second.

Suppose N is a natural number (positive integer). Do there necessarily exist two natural numbers, a and b, such that a+ b= N? (What if N= 1?)

Suppose N is a natural number. Do there necessarily exist two natural numbers, a and b, such that ab(b+1)/2= N?

HallsofIvy said:
Suppose N is a natural number. Do there necessarily exist two natural numbers, a and b, such that ab(b+1)/2= N?

For N>0, I can't think of any N that cannot be defined by ab(b+1)/2. My problem is proving it. I tried induction but that leaves me with

P(k): ak(k+1)/2= N

and P(k+1): a(k+1)((k+1)+1)/2= N
= ak(k+1)/2 + k+1 =N.

Thanks for your help so far.

Consider A= N, b= 1. What is ab(b+1)/2?

Related to I never learned what f(a, b) means..

What does f(a, b) mean?

f(a, b) is a mathematical notation that represents a function with two variables, a and b. It indicates that the function takes in two inputs, a and b, and produces an output based on those inputs.

How do I solve for f(a, b)?

The process for solving for f(a, b) depends on the specific function being used. In general, you will need to plug in the values of a and b into the function and simplify the expression to find the resulting output. You can also use a graphing calculator or online tool to help you solve for f(a, b).

When would I use f(a, b)?

f(a, b) can be used in a variety of mathematical and scientific contexts. It is commonly used in calculus, statistics, and physics to represent and solve for various functions and their outputs. It can also be used in computer programming to represent functions with multiple inputs.

What are the variables a and b in f(a, b)?

a and b can represent any type of variable, such as numbers, variables, or even other functions. The specific meaning of a and b will depend on the function being used and the context in which it is used.

Can f(a, b) have more than two variables?

Yes, f(a, b) can have any number of variables. It is common to see functions with three or more variables, such as f(a, b, c) or f(x, y, z). The number of variables in a function can vary depending on the complexity of the problem being solved.