I need some explanation on this

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Explanation
In summary: Maybe not, but the portion of it that conducts current and is part of the loop has length L...not that it matters since it has no resistance and hence you multiply it by 0 anyway.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/949/unledto.png

Go to problem b)

[PLAIN]http://img850.imageshack.us/img850/5388/unledzb.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Now my question is why L + 2x? L is the height and x is the width, why are they adding them? I know [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the resistance per unit length, but I don't understand they are adding them. It would make sense if they added the entire arclength (perimeter) of the rectangle

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The problem says the rod has negligible resistance, which means that you only need to add up the lengths of the three sides of the rectangle that are formed by nichrome wire. This is one height (L) and two widths (2x).

cepheid said:
The problem says the rod has negligible resistance, which means that you only need to add up the lengths of the three sides of the rectangle that are formed by nichrome wire. This is one height (L) and two widths (2x).

What about the distance PQ?

flyingpig said:
What about the distance PQ?

The distance between P & Q is L.

OK!

Resistance is: R = λ(2x + L) + 0(L), because, as cepheid pointed out, the rod has negligible resistance.

Code:
  P--------------------
   |            x
   |  
   |
   | L
   |
   |
   |            x
  Q--------------------

Just to be clear, these are the three sides of the rectangle I was referring to. (The fourth side, made by the rod, is not shown). Adding their lengths up, we get:

L + x + x = L + 2x

SammyS said:
OK!

Resistance is: R = λ(2x + L) + 0(L), because, as cepheid pointed out, the rod has negligible resistance.

It's okay, OnlyMe explained it to me pretty well lol.

Also, the rod isn't length L, look closely...

flyingpig said:
Also, the rod isn't length L, look closely...

Maybe not, but the portion of it that conducts current and is part of the loop has length L...not that it matters since it has no resistance and hence you multiply it by 0 anyway. :rolleyes:

Related to I need some explanation on this

1. What exactly do you need an explanation on?

I am unclear on what specific topic or concept you need an explanation on. Can you provide more context or details?

2. Can you explain this in simpler terms?

Of course. I can break down complex information into more understandable language. Let me know if there are any specific terms or ideas you need me to clarify.

3. Can you provide examples or visual aids to help with the explanation?

Absolutely. I can use visual aids such as diagrams, charts, or videos to complement the explanation and make it easier to understand. Is there a specific type of visual aid you prefer?

4. How does this relate to my current project or research?

I can provide an explanation that specifically relates to your project or research. Just let me know what you are currently working on and I can tailor the explanation to fit your needs.

5. Are there any external resources or references you can recommend for further explanation?

Yes, I can provide you with additional resources or references that can further explain the topic and provide more in-depth information. Just let me know what specific aspect you want to learn more about.