I did everything right, but answer Key is wrong right?

• Thread starter flyingpig
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the reaction force in a system of two wires using the symmetry of the system. The equations for the reaction force are derived and solved for the current, resulting in a value of 67.8A. The mistake of not accounting for the angle between the string and the vertical is corrected, leading to the correct solution.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img814.imageshack.us/img814/4456/84684200.png

The Attempt at a Solution

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/9151/11477498.th.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

So from the symmetry I can conclude these

[tex]Tcos\phi= mg[/tex]

[tex]Tsin\phi = F[/tex]

F is the force (reaction force) exerted by the other wire. I am only looking at one of the wires

So I can solve for it in terms of force per mass and I get

[tex]gtan\phi = \frac{F}{m}[/tex]

Now the reaction force is also

[tex]\vec{F} = I\vec{d} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

Now I define [tex]\lambda = \frac{m}{d}[/tex] and then [tex]d = \frac{m}{\lambda} [/tex]

So now

[tex]\vec{F} = I\vec{d} \times \vec{B}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{F}{d} = IB[/tex]

[tex]\frac{F}{d} = I\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi x}[/tex]

Where x is the distance between the two wires and I had to use the law of cosine to get it

[tex] x = l\sqrt{2 - 2cos\theta}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{F}{\frac{m}{\lambda} } = I\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi x}[/tex]

[tex] \lambda gtan\phi = \frac{\mu_0 I^2}{2\pi x}[/tex]

Solving for I, I get

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{2\pi \lambda x gtan\phi}{\mu_0}}= I[/tex]

The book gives me 67.8A, which I don't understand why

I also tried

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{2\pi x gtan\phi}{\mu_0 \lambda }}= I[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The angle between the vertical and the string is θ/2, so your first two equations are in error.

What do you mean θ/2? WHy did you cut it in half?

Oh wait, never mind I gotcha.

ahahaha i got the answer now!

Related to I did everything right, but answer Key is wrong right?

1. Why did the answer key give the wrong answer even though I did everything right?

There could be several reasons for this. It is possible that there was a mistake in the answer key, or that the question was poorly worded and open to interpretation. It is also possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or misunderstood the question. It is always a good idea to double check your work and ask for clarification if needed.

2. How can I be sure that I did everything right if the answer key is wrong?

One way to verify your answer is to ask a classmate or a teacher to check your work. You can also try using a different method or approach to solving the problem to see if you get the same answer. If you are still unsure, it is always best to ask for help and clarification.

3. What should I do if I believe the answer key is wrong?

If you are confident that your answer is correct and the answer key is wrong, you can bring it to the attention of your teacher or professor. They will likely review the question and the answer key to determine if there was an error. It is important to approach this situation respectfully and provide evidence to support your claim.

4. Can I still get credit for the question if the answer key is wrong?

This will depend on your teacher or professor's policies. Some may give partial or full credit if it is clear that you did everything correctly and the answer key was wrong. Others may require you to explain your reasoning and justify your answer in order to receive credit.

5. How can I avoid this issue in the future?

To avoid running into this issue again, it is important to carefully read and understand the question before solving it. Make sure to show all of your work and double check your calculations. If you are still unsure, you can ask for clarification from the teacher or professor before submitting your answer.