I need a book to solve Schrodinger's eqn numerically

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a book that explains how to solve the Schrodinger equation numerically without using any special techniques or approximations. The speaker is interested in calculating the spatial distribution of electrons in complex atoms. They mention the Hartree-Fock model and its limitations, and ask for recommendations for books or other methods that may be useful. The other person suggests looking into different approaches such as density functional theory or quantum Monte Carlo and provides a link to a potential resource.
jonjacson
I have found this one that looks perfect:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/331999929X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

THe problem is that it has not been published yet :( , but I can't believe there is no other book on the subject. What I want is to solve numerically the Schrodinger equation with no special techniques, no hartree fock or things like that, I want the whole equation without neglecting anything or aproximating anything.
Do you know any book that explains this and that has been already published?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many methods for the numerical solving of partial differential equations and specifically of linear PDEs (such as the schrodinger equation) like the Finite Element Method (FEM) the Finite Difference Method (FDM) and the Finite Volume Method (FVM). Not sure which method is the best for shcrodinger equation, but you could search for books for these methods and see if any book offers special treatment for the schrodinger equation.

Likes jonjacson
jonjacson said:
What I want is to solve numerically the Schrodinger equation with no special techniques, no hartree fock or things like that, I want the whole equation without neglecting anything or aproximating anything.
That's impossible. Simply the fact that computers are digital machines that can only work with a finite set of discrete numbers and a finite number of operations means that you'll have to do some approximations at one point.

There are many different numerical approaches that one can use to solve the Schrödinger equation depending on the situation. What is it exactly you would like to calculate?

DrClaude said:
That's impossible. Simply the fact that computers are digital machines that can only work with a finite set of discrete numbers and a finite number of operations means that you'll have to do some approximations at one point.

There are many different numerical approaches that one can use to solve the Schrödinger equation depending on the situation. What is it exactly you would like to calculate?

There is a book from Demtroder that shows spectral data on the elements, I would like to be able to calculate this data, what is the spatial distribution of the electrons on complex atoms etc

DrClaude said:

I know, but I did not mean that.

What I meant is that in the Hartree Fock model you approximate orbitals by spherical shapes, and then you calculate atom properties. I don't want to neglect the fact that real orbitals are not spherical. I hope now you understand what I mean.

I would welcome more replies, thanks!

jonjacson said:
What I meant is that in the Hartree Fock model you approximate orbitals by spherical shapes
This is not what Hartree-Fock is. The basic idea is simply that you transform the multi-electron problem into series of single-electron ones, while considering the potential energy due to the other electrons. There is no requirement for the field created by the other electrons to be spherical. (Note that in the absence of external fields, you expect the total electron distribution to be isotropic.)

I know of an older book, Methods of Molecular Quantum Mechanics by R. McWeeny, that discusses the subject in details (focussing more on molecules than atoms, as the title implies). There may be newer references that are more up to date. You may also look into completely different approaches, such as density functional theory or quantum Monte Carlo. I found the following after a quick search, which may be useful to you: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1008.2369.pdf

Likes jonjacson
DrClaude said:
This is not what Hartree-Fock is. The basic idea is simply that you transform the multi-electron problem into series of single-electron ones, while considering the potential energy due to the other electrons. There is no requirement for the field created by the other electrons to be spherical. (Note that in the absence of external fields, you expect the total electron distribution to be isotropic.)

I know of an older book, Methods of Molecular Quantum Mechanics by R. McWeeny, that discusses the subject in details (focussing more on molecules than atoms, as the title implies). There may be newer references that are more up to date. You may also look into completely different approaches, such as density functional theory or quantum Monte Carlo. I found the following after a quick search, which may be useful to you: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1008.2369.pdf

Thanks, I will have a look.

Related to I need a book to solve Schrodinger's eqn numerically

1. What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the wave function of a quantum system evolves over time.

2. Why is it important to solve Schrodinger's equation numerically?

Schrodinger's equation is a complex partial differential equation that cannot be solved analytically for most quantum systems. Therefore, numerical methods are necessary to obtain approximate solutions.

3. What are some common numerical methods used to solve Schrodinger's equation?

Some common methods include the finite difference method, finite element method, and variational methods such as the Hartree-Fock method and density functional theory.

4. Are there any limitations to solving Schrodinger's equation numerically?

Yes, there are limitations to numerical solutions, such as the need for approximations and the computational resources required for more complex systems.

5. Can numerical solutions of Schrodinger's equation accurately predict the behavior of quantum systems?

While numerical solutions can provide useful approximations, they may not capture all the details of a quantum system's behavior and can only provide probabilistic predictions. Further research and improvements in numerical methods are needed to improve accuracy.