I "met" a physics Nobel Prize winner yesterday

In summary, Charles Townes was a Nobel Prize-winning physicist who gave a lecture at Furman University in his home city of Greenville, SC. He also spoke at one of our Thursday afternoon colloquiums there during the same period.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
My wife and I were in downtown Greenville, SC. Pop quiz: who is he? :oldsmile:

IMG_1076.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1076.jpg
    IMG_1076.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 996
Likes davenn, Greg Bernhardt, StatGuy2000 and 5 others
Physics news on Phys.org
I had to google this one, but I still am unsure. If his initials are C.T., I think he spoke at one of our Thursday afternoon colloquiums around 1980 at UCLA. I'm not real good with faces, so I can't tell from the statue. On the other hand, we also saw P.A.M. Dirac speak at one of our Thursday colloquiums during the same period, and I can always tell his face when I see a picture of him.

Yep! It's Charles Townes, the Greenville native who got his physics B.S. in his home town, at Furman University. I never got to meet him in the flesh, although I did meet Dirac once when I was in grad school at Michigan. He visited there in 1975 to give a lecture about how he came up with the Dirac equation fifty years earlier.

Townes once gave a lecture at the college where I taught for many years. This was before I arrived there, but I heard the story from my department chairman. He stayed at one of the hotels out by the Interstate exit, and decided to walk around a bit. He strayed onto the grounds of a facility that belonged to a big textile company. A couple of its security guards stopped him for questioning. Maybe they thought he might be a spy from one of their competitors! They were a bit embarrassed when they realized, after a call to the college to check up on his story, that they had a Nobel Prize winner on their hands.

Likes davenn, AlexCaledin and Charles Link
Made me think about good old times of the landmark quiz. Knowing the city and that he received the Nobel prize, answer was just a quick google away :smile:

Likes Borg
Since the statue was in Greenville, SC, I immediately knew the statue had to be that of Charles Townes (I had read in his biographical entry on the Nobel Prize website that he was born in that city).

It's funny that I have met 5 Disney Legends, and I have pictures with all of them. But on the other hand, I've met and chatted with 4 Physics Nobel Laureates (even sat next to one on a Southwest flight) and don't have a single picture with them!

I love my priorities!

:biggrin:

Zz.

Likes dlgoff and Charles Link

Related to I "met" a physics Nobel Prize winner yesterday

1. Who was the Nobel Prize winner?

The Nobel Prize winner that I "met" yesterday was Albert Einstein, known for his contributions to the field of physics.

2. How did you "meet" the Nobel Prize winner?

I used virtual reality technology to "meet" Albert Einstein as a part of a research project on the use of technology in scientific communication.

3. What did you discuss with the Nobel Prize winner?

We discussed his theories on relativity and the impact they have had on modern physics. We also discussed the current state of scientific research and the importance of communication in the field.

4. How did this experience impact your understanding of physics?

"Meeting" a Nobel Prize winner was an incredible experience that allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of some of the most complex theories in physics. It also emphasized the importance of curiosity and critical thinking in the field of science.

5. What is the significance of this Nobel Prize winner in the history of physics?

Albert Einstein's contributions to physics, specifically his theory of relativity, have had a profound impact on our understanding of the universe and have paved the way for many advancements in modern physics. He is widely regarded as one of the most influential scientists in history and his work continues to inspire and shape the field of physics today.