I just wanted to know how to find error/uncertainties from the graph

• Thread starter vpt069
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary: No, because the uncertainty would be bigger at the higher ppm. In summary, the uncertainty increases as the concentration goes up.
vpt069
Homework Statement
I just wanted to know how to find errors/uncertainties from the graph. You can see the graph, I want to find the uncertainties at 175 ppm where I have not measured at 175 ppm. so, if I want to know the error for the particular value. what predication/equation should I use?
Relevant Equations
I do not have any idea.
Untitled.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello @vpt069 ,
:welcome:
The information available is not sufficient to conclude an uncertainty. You will have to make a separate consideration to estimate that, I'm afraid.

## \ ##

BvU said:
Hello @vpt069 ,
:welcome:
The information available is not sufficient to conclude an uncertainty. You will have to make a separate consideration to estimate that, I'm afraid.

## \ ##
Hello expert,

I understand what you are trying to say. Let me explain.

So, In this graph, I have taken my measurements at different concentrations. So, I have taken at 25 ppm to 400 ppm. I have the value and the error/uncertainty for the exact concentration (i.e. 25,50,75,100,125,150,200,300,400 ppm) but suppose I want to find/predict the uncertainty of the point (i.e. 175 ppm) where I have not measured. So, Is there any equation should I use to find the error?

What exactly is the plot a graph of? You didn't label the axes, so it's not clear.

The short answer is "it depends" How did you assign the error bars on the graph?

If you have no measured point, you have no uncertainty on the measurement.

I have attached the graphs here for the same data. I can use the data both ways using tread lines.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7.1 KB · Views: 66
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.5 KB · Views: 66
So now, can I find the uncertainties or errors of where two straight lines (trendlines) touch (around 90 ppm)?

Thank you.

Vanadium 50 said:
Can't I predict from the other measured points?

If the data is all from one apparatus on a particular run, and the data is gathered similarly, one could estimate the projected error using the observed error of nearby points. But this would need to be annotated carefully. As I said "it depends" and you need to understand the process.

hutchphd said:
The short answer is "it depends" How did you assign the error bars on the graph?

vpt069 said:
Concentration (ppm)Surface Tension (mN/m)Errors/Uncertainties (mN/m)
25​
50.06​
0.45​
50​
39.86​
0.22​
75​
36.83​
0.17​
100​
34.63​
0.03​
125​
34.49​
0.03​
150​
34.76​
0.02​
200​
34.81​
0.02​
300​
34.77​
0.03​
400​
34.76​
0.02​
Here I attached the measurements and errors for the measured values but I have not measured at the 175 ppm. so, how one may find errors for the unmeasured point?

How is the last column obtained??
And why do you wish to generate more "data" ?

hutchphd said:
How is the last column obtained??
And why do you wish to generate more "data" ?
So, the last column (error) obtained from the instrument (it is automatically calculated by the standard deviation of 60 measurements)

I want to find out/predict the exact point where the value becomes stable or consistent (by observing a horizontal straight line.

What is the fitted curve in the graph? Is there an expected shape?

Vanadium 50 said:

hutchphd said:
I do not see any pattern here but usually, in an interfacial tension graph, it starts with decreasing and then remains stable.

hutchphd said:
You can refer to this image.

Attachments

• photo-slug-355205741.jpg
    photo-slug-355205741.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 63
vpt069 said:
So, the last column (error) obtained from the instrument (it is automatically calculated by the standard deviation of 60 measurements)

I want to find out/predict the exact point where the value becomes stable or consistent (by observing a horizontal straight line.
In the absence of a theoretical model for how the transition occurs, it is not possible to interpolate a value. Judging from the image in post #17, a theoretical model should be feasible, but it might be quite complicated, involving the statistics of energy distribution.
That said, spline fitting is commonly used in engineering. Years ago I saw a paper that made a good case for gluing together arcsin(x) curves, but I forget the details. This paper uses "biarcs": https://core.ac.uk/download/pdf/81993903.pdf.

Last edited:
vpt069 said:
I do not see any pattern here but usually, in an interfacial tension graph, it starts with decreasing and then remains stable.

vpt069 said:

The occurrence of a significant dip at 125 ppm worries me no end. Is it a genuine theoretical possibility or an artefact ?

What is the time history of the measurements ? Are the individual measurements really independent (do you prepare fresh solutions in a new container from scratch for each new point?), or can there be some time lag ? If the measurement series are in sequence from low to high ppm, can there be an undershoot after the steep decline from 75 to 100 ?
Idem the overshoot at 200 ?

Is it possible to check the 60 measurements of individual points to see if they are really normally distributed in time, or possibly show some systematic drift ?

For 60 points (normally distributed) the standard deviation estimate has some 12% accuracy. It is strange that the last six points have 0.02 or 0.03 . Instrumental limit to two decimal places ?

Would going backwards from 425 to 0 (or 25) ppm produce the exact same result ?

Why the specific interest in the 175 ppm point ?

Lots of considerations possible. A real experimentational challenge :smile:

Without further detailed information it is impossible to distinguish between 34.80, 34.78 or 34.76, all ##\pm##0.02 , for 175 ppm

1635246893056.png

##\ ##

Yes. I would say yes, all the questions you asked have been checked by us already. We have checked low ppm to high ppm, all 60 measurements have the same interval. 175 ppm is just for reference that I used here for how to find uncertainty for the unmeasured point. Is there any way I can use all the uncertainties of measured values/points to come up with error of unmeasured value?

vpt069 said:
Yes. I would say yes, all the questions you asked have been checked by us already. We have checked low ppm to high ppm, all 60 measurements have the same interval. 175 ppm is just for reference that I used here for how to find uncertainty for the unmeasured point. Is there any way I can use all the uncertainties of measured values/points to come up with error of unmeasured value?
BvU said:
The occurrence of a significant dip at 125 ppm worries me no end. Is it a genuine theoretical possibility or an artefact ?

What is the time history of the measurements ? Are the individual measurements really independent (do you prepare fresh solutions in a new container from scratch for each new point?), or can there be some time lag ? If the measurement series are in sequence from low to high ppm, can there be an undershoot after the steep decline from 75 to 100 ?
Idem the overshoot at 200 ?

Is it possible to check the 60 measurements of individual points to see if they are really normally distributed in time, or possibly show some systematic drift ?

For 60 points (normally distributed) the standard deviation estimate has some 12% accuracy. It is strange that the last six points have 0.02 or 0.03 . Instrumental limit to two decimal places ?

Would going backwards from 425 to 0 (or 25) ppm produce the exact same result ?

Why the specific interest in the 175 ppm point ?

Lots of considerations possible. A real experimentational challenge :smile:

Without further detailed information it is impossible to distinguish between 34.80, 34.78 or 34.76, all ##\pm##0.02 , for 175 ppm

View attachment 291189

##\ ##
So, yes, and Instrument limit to two decimal points as well as once we reach the cmc (here, 125 ppm), errors were expected that low.

Related to I just wanted to know how to find error/uncertainties from the graph

1. How do I determine the error/uncertainty from a graph?

To find the error or uncertainty from a graph, you will need to look at the data points and determine the range of values for each point. This can be done by finding the highest and lowest values for each point and calculating the difference. This will give you the range of possible values for each data point, which can be used to determine the overall error or uncertainty for the graph.

2. Can I use the slope of the graph to calculate the error/uncertainty?

Yes, the slope of a graph can be used to calculate the error or uncertainty. This is because the slope represents the rate of change between two data points, and a larger slope indicates a larger change. By calculating the slope and determining the range of values for each data point, you can estimate the error or uncertainty for the entire graph.

3. What is the difference between error and uncertainty in a graph?

Error refers to the difference between a measured value and the true value, while uncertainty refers to the range of possible values for a measurement. In a graph, error can be represented by the distance between a data point and the best-fit line, while uncertainty can be determined by the range of values for each data point.

4. How do I account for human error in my graph?

To account for human error in a graph, you can add an error bar to each data point. This error bar represents the range of possible values for each data point, taking into account any human error that may have occurred during the measurement process. This will give a more accurate representation of the data and help to determine the overall error or uncertainty for the graph.

5. Is there a specific formula for calculating error/uncertainty from a graph?

There is no one specific formula for calculating error or uncertainty from a graph, as it will depend on the type of data and the measurement being taken. However, there are various methods and techniques that can be used, such as finding the range of values for each data point, calculating the slope, or using error bars. It is important to carefully consider the data and the measurement process when determining the error or uncertainty for a graph.