Calculating Change in Energy: A Graph Analysis

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the magnitude of the IF vector and calculating the change in internal energy and heat added for a direct path from I to A. The relevant equation to use is ΔW=pΔV, and the heat added QIF is given. Alternatively, the first law can be applied for the direct path. The conversation concludes with the person saying they have figured it out and thanking for the help.
RandiSS
Homework Statement
A gas expands from I to F in the figure. The energy added to the gas by heat is 486 J when the gas goes from I to F along the diagonal path.

1. What is the change in internal energy of the gas?
Answer in units of J.
2. How much energy must be added to the gas by heat for the indirect path IAF to give the same change in internal energy? Answer in units of J.
Relevant Equations
ΔU = Q + W
W=pΔV
Not a solution. This is the graph provided.
1E14D1B0-D638-4A92-9F84-6C6655F9A660.jpeg

I think I start with finding the magnitude of the IF vector but I’m not sure. And I don’t know where to go from there.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you at least calculate the change in internal energy and heat added to go from I to A?

Alternatively, apply the first law for the direct path IF. You are given the heat added QIF and you are looking for the change in internal energy ΔUIF. Can you find WIF from the graph? Note that your relevant equation should be ΔW=pΔV.

Likes Chestermiller
kuruman said:
Alternatively, apply the first law for the direct path IF. You are given the heat added QIF and you are looking for the change in internal energy ΔUIF. Can you find WIF from the graph? Note that your relevant equation should be ΔW=pΔV.
Hey I got it figured out. Thanks for the help. :)

Related to Calculating Change in Energy: A Graph Analysis

1. What is the purpose of calculating change in energy using a graph analysis?

The purpose of calculating change in energy using a graph analysis is to understand the relationship between energy and another variable, such as time or position. By analyzing the shape and slope of the graph, we can determine how energy is changing and identify any patterns or trends.

2. How is change in energy represented on a graph?

Change in energy is typically represented on a graph by the y-axis, while the other variable (such as time or position) is represented on the x-axis. The change in energy can be shown as a line or curve on the graph, with the slope representing the rate of change.

3. What is the difference between positive and negative change in energy on a graph?

Positive change in energy on a graph indicates an increase in energy, while negative change in energy indicates a decrease in energy. This can be seen as an upward or downward slope on the graph, respectively. It is important to pay attention to the direction of change in energy when analyzing a graph.

4. How can we calculate the change in energy from a graph?

To calculate the change in energy from a graph, we can use the slope formula: change in energy = (change in y)/(change in x). This will give us the average rate of change in energy over a specific interval on the graph.

5. What other factors should be considered when analyzing change in energy on a graph?

When analyzing change in energy on a graph, it is important to also consider the units of measurement, the scale of the graph, and any potential sources of error. It can also be helpful to compare the graph to other graphs or data sets to gain a better understanding of the relationship between energy and the other variable.