I just took my Calculus II final and I have a question about this

In summary, the question is asking to evaluate the integral \int_{0}^{2} e^{x^2} d\theta with respect to the variable theta. The poster initially struggled with the question, but eventually realized that the integral is a non-elementary one and can only be solved using numerical methods. The professor confirmed that it was not a typo and the correct solution is 2e^{x^2}. The poster then expresses confusion as to why this question was included in a Calculus II exam, and it is explained that it tests attention to detail and understanding of non-elementary integrals.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

I spoke to a few people and pretty much everyone but me seem to know what is going on with a few questions. This question was one of the ones I stared blankly for a few minutes and then wrote down an answer

[tex]\int_{0}^{2} e^{x^2} d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Look, it is with respect to theta, no x (not that you can even integrate it if it is x...)

I read some MVC on my own so I didn't have "too much" trouble with it, but I just wondered why it was put on a Calc II exam...

I asked the professor if it was a typo (twice) and he shooked his head saying "nope".

So solving you should get [tex]2e^{x^2}[/tex]

Now my question is, (well I have more than one...)

1. Am I right?
2. If not, what single variable calculus techniques do you use to find the solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
flyingpig said:

Homework Statement

I spoke to a few people and pretty much everyone but me seem to know what is going on with a few questions. This question was one of the ones I stared blankly for a few minutes and then wrote down an answer

[tex]\int_{0}^{2} e^{x^2} d\theta[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Look, it is with respect to theta, no x (not that you can even integrate it if it is x...)

I read some MVC on my own so I didn't have "too much" trouble with it, but I just wondered why it was put on a Calc II exam...

I asked the professor if it was a typo (twice) and he shooked his head saying "nope".

So solving you should get [tex]2e^{x^2}[/tex]

Now my question is, (well I have more than one...)

1. Am I right?
2. If not, what single variable calculus techniques do you use to find the solution?

1. Yes.

Good, lol. Why the hell did my professor put up this kind of question on the exam anyways?

To see if you were paying attention to details such as the variable of integration, θ. Apparently you were paying attention.

Even if you weren't paying attention how could you integrate e^(x^2)? Also, how could a Cal II student know to treat e^(x^2) as a constant and not a variable?

flyingpig said:
Even if you weren't paying attention how could you integrate e^(x^2)? Also, how could a Cal II student know to treat e^(x^2) as a constant and not a variable?
Because it's a non-elementary integral and thus they should rub their eyes and take a second look at the question? It's well known result that ex2 and e-x2 cannot be evaluated analytically. This is a matter of paying attention to what you're doing rather than plugging and chugging(even if it's a cookbook course). We know that the dependent variable is whatever we're integrating with respect to, and everything else(not containing the dependent variable) can be held constant.

Related to I just took my Calculus II final and I have a question about this

1. What is the most challenging concept in Calculus II?

This can vary from person to person, as different individuals may struggle with different concepts. However, some common challenging topics in Calculus II include integration techniques, series and sequences, and applications of integration.

2. How can I improve my performance in Calculus II?

Practice is key in improving your performance in Calculus II. Make sure to attend lectures, take thorough notes, and complete practice problems regularly. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or professor can also greatly improve your understanding of the material.

3. Is it important to memorize formulas in Calculus II?

While memorizing formulas can be helpful, it is more important to understand the underlying concepts and principles in Calculus II. This will allow you to apply them in various problems, rather than just relying on memorization.

4. How can I prepare for a Calculus II final exam?

Reviewing your notes, completing practice problems, and seeking help from a tutor or professor are all effective ways to prepare for a Calculus II final exam. It is also important to start studying and reviewing material well in advance, rather than waiting until the last minute.

5. What are some real-life applications of Calculus II?

Calculus II has many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model and analyze various real-world situations, such as motion, growth and decay, optimization, and probability.