I just got "gold member" status but I haven't made a donation

• Thread starter Morbert
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the criteria for obtaining Gold Membership status on Physicsforums, with the main focus being on monetary contributions. However, it is mentioned that there are other ways to become a Gold Member, such as through acts of support and helpfulness towards the forum.
Morbert
Gold Member
Is this normal? Is it a gift?

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently you haven't counted your children today... :wink:

• Haha
Likes hutchphd, russ_watters and Vanadium 50
It’s more than just donations 🙂

Likes Wrichik Basu, dlgoff, dextercioby and 1 other person
Morbert said:
Is this normal? Is it a gift?
Morbert, you might like to read about what has been described for the different membership levels, in these:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/easy-ways-you-can-support-physics-forums.813856/

Find in the first link, a part in the first posting about Miscelleneous/Gold Members...
The second link has a section, "Upgrade to Gold Membership".

Read and think and you could know why and how you are in the Gold Membership category.

post-add: I'm reviewing through those links right now, and I only find Gold Membership officially only lists monetary contributions. Some of us have given no monetary contributions of any sort but still have been given Gold Member status. The ways to get that was described a few years ago, but the exact details, I do not remember. All I best recall is that we need to do something nice or helpful in support of Physicsforums, and show or report this, and we're given Gold Membership. This did not require spending money. Might've been just a temporary thing.

Last edited:

Related to I just got "gold member" status but I haven't made a donation

1. Why did I receive "gold member" status without making a donation?

There are a few possible reasons for this. It could be a mistake on our end, or you may have been given the status as a reward for other contributions or actions. Please contact us for further clarification.

2. Can I still make a donation even though I have "gold member" status?

Absolutely! Your donation will still be greatly appreciated and will go towards supporting our scientific research and projects. Your "gold member" status will not affect your ability to donate.

3. What are the benefits of being a "gold member"?

As a "gold member", you will receive special recognition and perks such as exclusive newsletters, invitations to events, and early access to new research findings. Your support as a "gold member" also helps us continue our important work.

4. How long does "gold member" status last?

"Gold member" status is typically given as a one-time reward for your contributions or actions. However, if you continue to support our work and make donations, you may be eligible for ongoing "gold member" status.

5. How can I become a "gold member" without making a donation?

While making a donation is one way to become a "gold member", there may be other ways to earn this status such as volunteering, participating in fundraisers, or promoting our organization. Please contact us for more information on how to become a "gold member".