I just dont get this tangential acceleration problem

In summary, the question is asking for the tangential and radial acceleration of a car at the Indianapolis-500 as it accelerates uniformly from rest to 300 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 200 m. It also asks for the coefficient of static friction on a flat curve in order to provide this acceleration without slipping or skidding.
anightlikethis
Homework Statement [/b]
A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to

I can't get very far on this one. I know that tangential acceleration= change in velocity over change in time, but there is no time mentioned. I know it has something to do with radians but I don't remember that from trig.

Physics news on Phys.org
anightlikethis said:
Homework Statement [/b]
A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to

I can't get very far on this one. I know that tangential acceleration= change in velocity over change in time, but there is no time mentioned. I know it has something to do with radians but I don't remember that from trig.

What is the entire question?

OOPS ...sorrry
here it is
A car at the Indianapolis-500 accelerates uniformly from the pit area, going from rest to 300 km/h in a semicircular arc with a radius of 200 m.
Determine the tangential acceleration of the car when it is halfway through the turn, assuming constant tangential acceleration.
Determine the radial acceleration of the car at this time.
If the curve were flat, what would the coefficient of static friction have to be between the tires and the roadbed to provide this acceleration with no slipping or skidding?

Related to I just dont get this tangential acceleration problem

What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the rate of change of an object's tangential velocity over time. It is the acceleration that a moving object experiences as it changes direction.

What is the formula for tangential acceleration?

The formula for tangential acceleration is a = r * α, where a is the tangential acceleration, r is the radius of the object's circular path, and α is the angular acceleration of the object.

How is tangential acceleration different from centripetal acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and centripetal acceleration are both components of the total acceleration of an object moving in a circular path. Tangential acceleration is the change in the object's tangential velocity, while centripetal acceleration is the change in the object's direction. They are perpendicular to each other and together they determine the object's total acceleration.

What factors affect tangential acceleration?

The factors that affect tangential acceleration include the object's mass, the radius of its circular path, and the object's angular acceleration. The greater the mass and angular acceleration, and the smaller the radius, the greater the tangential acceleration will be.

How can I calculate tangential acceleration in a real-world scenario?

In a real-world scenario, you can calculate tangential acceleration by measuring the object's tangential velocity at different points along its circular path and then using the formula a = (v2 - v1) / t, where v2 is the final tangential velocity, v1 is the initial tangential velocity, and t is the time it took to change between the two velocities.