I have to prove x^3 is differentiable at x=4

In summary: The proof is acceptable at an elementary calculus level. If you are taking advanced calculus, you would need a little more formalism, but the idea is the same.Ha, then I bet for a Real Analysis course this proof would be unacceptable :tongue:actually all you need to do is add a few lines of text justifying each step. Use facts like continuity preserves convergence and the functional limit at a point x does not even require the function to be defined at the point, just near it.
Caeder
I have to prove [tex]x^3[/tex] is differentiable at [tex]x=4[/tex] using the definition of what it means for something to be differentiable.

So I was wondering if I just have to show that [tex]f'(4) = \lim_{x \to 4} \frac {f(x) - f(4)}{x - 4}[/tex] exists, where [tex]f(x) = x^3[/tex].

So...

[tex]f'(4) = \lim_{x \to 4} \frac {x^3 - 64}{x - 4}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{x \to 4} \frac{(x-4)(x^2 + 4x + 16)}{x-4}[/tex]

[tex] = \lim_{x \to 4} x^2 + 4x + 16[/tex].

So the limit (derivative) is 48...does this prove it's dif'able at [tex]x=4[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
The proof is acceptable at an elementary calculus level. If you are taking advanced calculus, you would need a little more formalism, but the idea is the same.

Ha, then I bet for a Real Analysis course this proof would be unacceptable :-p

actually all you need to do is add a few lines of text justifying each step. Use facts like continuity preserves convergence and the functional limit at a point x does not even require the function to be defined at the point, just near it.

That aside the proofs for adcalc/analysis and calculus are identical

SiddharthM said:
actually all you need to do is add a few lines of text justifying each step. Use facts like continuity preserves convergence and the functional limit at a point x does not even require the function to be defined at the point, just near it.

That aside the proofs for adcalc/analysis and calculus are identical

With a few more epsilons and deltas in the mix ;)

JonF said:
With a few more epsilons and deltas in the mix ;)

once you prove that functional limit definition is equivalent to the sequence limit definition (this is analogous to continuity and sequential continuity the difference being you don't consider the point which you are approaching, in fact f doesn't have to be defined at that point for the limit to exist) you see that because of continuity

the limit of a polynomial at x is the polynomial evaluated at x.

so that any epsilon-delta argument is unnecessary.

Caeder said:
I have to prove [tex]x^3[/tex] is differentiable at [tex]x=4[/tex] using the definition of what it means for something to be differentiable.

So I was wondering if I just have to show that [tex]f'(4) = \lim_{x \to 4} \frac {f(x) - f(4)}{x - 4}[/tex] exists, where [tex]f(x) = x^3[/tex].

So...

[tex]f'(4) = \lim_{x \to 4} \frac {x^3 - 64}{x - 4}[/tex]

[tex]= \lim_{x \to 4} \frac{(x-4)(x^2 + 4x + 16)}{x-4}[/tex]

[tex] = \lim_{x \to 4} x^2 + 4x + 16[/tex].

So the limit (derivative) is 48...does this prove it's dif'able at [tex]x=4[/tex]?
Because "differentiable at x= a" means precisely that that limit exists!

Related to I have to prove x^3 is differentiable at x=4

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable?

Being differentiable means that a function has a well-defined derivative at a specific point. In other words, the function is smooth and continuous at that point.

2. How do I prove that x^3 is differentiable at x=4?

To prove that x^3 is differentiable at x=4, you need to show that the limit of the difference quotient (f'(x) = lim[h->0] (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h) exists at x=4. If the limit exists, then the function is differentiable at that point.

3. What is the derivative of x^3?

The derivative of x^3 is 3x^2. This can be derived using the power rule of differentiation, where the power of x is reduced by 1 and multiplied by the original coefficient.

4. Can I use the limit definition of the derivative to prove differentiability at any point?

Yes, the limit definition of the derivative can be used to prove differentiability at any point. It is a general method that can be applied to any function, as long as the limit exists at that point.

5. What is the significance of proving differentiability at a specific point?

Proving differentiability at a specific point shows that the function is smooth and continuous at that point. This is important in many applications, especially in physics and engineering, where the derivative represents the rate of change of a quantity. It also allows us to use other important concepts, such as the mean value theorem and Taylor's theorem, to better understand the behavior of the function at that point.