I have one question regarding Kinetic Energy

In summary, there are two particles, one with charge -q and the other with charge Q. The -q particle rotates around the Q particle at a radius r1. The energy at this point can be calculated using the formula E = KE + U, where U = -kQq/r1 and KE = kQq/2r1. The kinetic energy is found by relating the centripetal force acting on the revolving charge to the attractive force between the charges. This understanding can help solve problems involving revolving charges.
Tarabas
HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
The question is.
There are two particles, one with charge -q and the other with charge Q, and -q particle rotates around the Q particle at a radius r1. What is the Energy at this point?
The answer is like this: E= KE + U
So now I know that U= -kQq/r1
But according to the answer: KE= kQq/2r1. And I have no idea how they found this KE. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If one charge is revolving around another, then there is a centripetal force acting on the revolving charge. Can you relate this to the attractive force between the charges? How does this relate to the kinetic energy of the revolving charge?

PWiz said:
If one charge is revolving around another, then there is a centripetal force acting on the revolving charge. Can you relate this to the attractive force between the charges? How does this relate to the kinetic energy of the revolving charge?
Thnx. I got it. Now I'm laughing how I couldn't figure it out .

Happens to the best of us :)

Likes bhobba and Tarabas

Related to I have one question regarding Kinetic Energy

1. What is Kinetic Energy?

Kinetic Energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is defined as the work needed to accelerate a body of a given mass from rest to its stated velocity.

2. How is Kinetic Energy calculated?

Kinetic Energy is calculated by using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity.

3. What are some examples of Kinetic Energy?

Some examples of Kinetic Energy include a moving car, a rolling ball, a swinging pendulum, and a flying airplane. Essentially, any object that is in motion has Kinetic Energy.

4. Is Kinetic Energy a scalar or vector quantity?

Kinetic Energy is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. This is because it is calculated using the square of velocity, which eliminates any directional component.

5. How is Kinetic Energy related to potential energy?

Kinetic Energy and potential energy are two forms of energy that can be converted into each other. Kinetic Energy is the energy of motion, while potential energy is the energy an object has due to its position or state. For example, a roller coaster gains Kinetic Energy as it moves down a hill (due to its position) and loses Kinetic Energy as it moves up a hill (due to its state).