I have ideas, I'm not sure what to do with them

• Thread starter SizarieldoR
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas
In summary: Philosophy is great for getting to know different ways of thinking, but it is not a tool to change the world. I am outlining a paper, I suppose anthropological, and a book (something like Ishmael), but I have had absolutely no experience in publishing things.I am not sure if this is anthropology or whether dialogs are an acceptable format for a paper. In summary, I think you should spend less time on philosophy and more time on your paper.
SizarieldoR
So, since my sophomore class until now - my senior class - I have been thinking about mankind and control and I came up with ideas, such as what control is or what is the purpose of the existence of species and then of individuals. So fare they are in my blog (http://sizarieldor.blogspot.com), but clearly that is not enough.

I need to share them somehow, but I do not know what the better way would be. I am outlining a paper, I suppose anthropological, and a book (something like Ishmael), but I have had absolutely no experience in publishing things. I am not sure if this is anthropology or whether dialogs are an acceptable format for a paper.

I'm sure there are people here who can give me advice about that, thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally I'll advise you not to bother with philosophy. It goes nowhere and achieves nothing. I don't really know what you intend to do with your ideas. If you really want your ideas to be examined critically, you can post it in the philosophy forums of this website, or somewhere like http://www.philosphyforums.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Defennder makes a good point. Since it's not really within my remit to examine your ideas critically, I'd suggest you ask someone who knows their stuff to really scrutinise your work.

Since you say you have no clue about publishing things, does that mean you don't spend too much time scouting the philosophy or anthropology journals? If you don't, then, not to be discouraging, with reference to who, or what, do you intend to publish? I make this point since, more often than not, independence fails to beget originality or substantiality - by which I mean that it's very easy to get carried away with ideas developed in precisely the context in which it seems yours have come from: the uncriticised / unseen context. By this token it's good you want to put your ideas out there but at the same time i'd have said you'd be worth spending a good deal of your time ploughing through the journals in your area of interest and just seeing where you stand.

p.s. Is your blog meant to be written in the form of Socratic dialogue (or whatever it is best called: the form of Plato's republic i mean)? I see little in the way of the dialectic method (does A really ever convince B to change his mind? I wish my arguments went so swimmingly!)

I initially thought of writing it imitating The Republic (a third of which I have read), but it turned out that, the blog being the first ever draft of my thoughts, there isn't much clear dialectic, especially in the first chapters.

Nonetheless, a dialog allows for occasional broadness and two persons speaking is a nice way to refine one's claims and enrich them with clear logic.

Hey,
I have many ideas like yourself, I just spent 2 years on Philosophy and I think I hit a dead end. Although I will always "practice" philosophy, I believe it should be done as a hobby on your free time.

Related to I have ideas, I'm not sure what to do with them

1. What can I do to organize my ideas?

One option could be to create a brainstorming or mind map, where you can visually connect your ideas and see how they relate to each other. Another option could be to keep a journal or notebook specifically for your ideas, where you can write them down and refer back to them later.

2. How can I determine which ideas are worth pursuing?

A helpful way to evaluate your ideas is to consider their feasibility, potential impact, and personal interest. Ask yourself if the idea is realistic and achievable, if it has the potential to make a positive difference, and if it aligns with your personal passions and goals.

3. What if I have too many ideas and can't focus on just one?

It's common to have a lot of ideas, and it can be overwhelming to try and focus on all of them at once. One approach could be to prioritize your ideas based on urgency or importance. You could also try breaking down your ideas into smaller, more manageable tasks and tackle them one at a time.

4. How can I turn my ideas into actionable plans?

Once you have your ideas organized and have determined which ones you want to pursue, you can start creating a plan of action. This could involve setting specific goals, creating a timeline, and breaking down the steps needed to achieve your idea. Consider seeking guidance from a mentor or using project management tools to help you stay on track.

5. What if my ideas don't seem original or innovative?

Remember that ideas don't have to be completely original to be valuable. Often, combining existing ideas or putting a unique spin on them can lead to innovative solutions. Also, don't be discouraged if your ideas don't seem groundbreaking at first. With dedication and hard work, even small ideas can have a big impact.