I Have both books by Allendoerfer/Oakley do I need Lang?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's self-study of math, specifically starting with pre-calculus material. They have two books by Allendoerfer and Oakley and are wondering if they need Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics. The speaker has studied one of the Allendoerfer and Oakley books and suggests comparing Lang's book to see if it covers anything different. The speaker believes Lang's book is more basic and Principles of Mathematics is for someone who has studied high school math and wants a more in depth look at certain topics. They ultimately suggest starting with one of the books they already have rather than purchasing Lang's book.
Tee2612
I am starting my self-study and am going from the ground up starting with a rigorous treatment of some "pre-calculus" material. I have both "Principles of Mathematics" and "Freshman Mathematics" by Allendoerfer and Oakley.

Do I need Serge Lang's Basic Mathematics? Is there anything that is covered in Lang that Allendoerfer and Oakley's books do not cover?

Physics news on Phys.org
I studied out of Principles of Math in high school, and know something about that book, but do not know "Freshman math". A glance at Lang's book on amazon suggests it is more elementary than Principles, but maybe it resembles Freshman math. Why don't you look on amazon at Lang's book, and see if the table of contents helps you compare it to the Allendoerfer and Oakley books.

It looks to me as if Lang's book is for someone who basically does not know anything, or has forgotten it all, and Principles is for someone who has studied basic high school math and wants a more in depth look at some less traditional topics, like groups and complex numbers, and logic, and an introduction to analytic geometry and calculus, maybe also probability and statistics.

But I would answer your question "Do I need Lang?" as no, you just need to start working through one of the books you already have. Reading books is more important than owning them.

Related to I Have both books by Allendoerfer/Oakley do I need Lang?

1. Do I need "Lang" if I already have both books by Allendoerfer/Oakley?

No, "Lang" is not necessary if you already have both books by Allendoerfer/Oakley. "Lang" is a separate book and may contain different material or present the concepts in a different way, but it is not required to understand the material in the Allendoerfer/Oakley books.

2. Will "Lang" cover the same topics as the Allendoerfer/Oakley books?

Yes, "Lang" does cover many of the same topics as the Allendoerfer/Oakley books, such as calculus, geometry, and algebra. However, it may also cover additional topics or present the material in a different way.

3. Can "Lang" be used as a replacement for the Allendoerfer/Oakley books?

It depends on your personal preference and needs. "Lang" is a comprehensive math textbook and covers many topics, but it may not cover all the same topics as the Allendoerfer/Oakley books. It is best to compare the table of contents of both books to determine if "Lang" can serve as a replacement for the Allendoerfer/Oakley books.

4. Are the Allendoerfer/Oakley books and "Lang" suitable for beginners?

Yes, both the Allendoerfer/Oakley books and "Lang" are suitable for beginners. They both start with basic concepts and build upon them, making them accessible to readers with little prior knowledge of math.

5. Can I use the Allendoerfer/Oakley books and "Lang" together?

Yes, you can use the Allendoerfer/Oakley books and "Lang" together. They cover similar topics, but may present them in different ways, so using them together can provide a more comprehensive understanding of the material. However, it is not necessary to use both books together to understand the concepts.