I have a question and an answer for couette flow question

• Thread starter Goldberg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow
In summary, the problem involves the flow of a fluid between two parallel plates at a distance of h. The flow is fully developed and laminar. The solution involves integrating a general form and finding constants to get the final answer. However, there may be an easier way to solve the problem. Additionally, there are two equivalent examples where y is measured differently, and using different values for y and u may result in different answers.
Goldberg

Homework Statement

Fluid flows between 2 parallel plates, flow is fully developed and laminar, the distance between the plates is h
In the notes there is a general form of solution after integrating it 2 times. where a is h. but i saw in the book that we have to get +h/2 and -h/2 then add those equations find c1 and c2. but is there any easier way.
P.S. i wasn't able to find the final answer by using any of those things

Homework Equations

http://imgur.com/LwOFqy8

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/0j2Ypr4

Physics news on Phys.org
a step by step solution would be awesome, since this is the beginning and i want to understand the basic concept ruling these equations. i have watched videos online everywhere but can't get to the last (1-(2h/y)^2) part

In one of your examples, y is measured up from the base, and the total channel height is a. In the other example, y is measured upward from the channel centerline, and the total channel height is h. The two examples are equivalent.

Chet

Likes Goldberg
I tried solving it using y=o, when u=0
and y=h/2 when u=0.
still I am not able to find the same answer..
can someone tell me what's wrong
attempt jpeg:
http://postimg.org/image/u2srvitj7/

Last edited by a moderator:
Goldberg said:
I tried solving it using y=o, when u=0
and y=h/2 when u=0.
still I am not able to find the same answer..
can someone tell me what's wrong
attempt jpeg:
http://postimg.org/image/u2srvitj7/
For that case, you should be using u' = 0 at y = 0 and u = 0 at y = h/2.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I have a question and an answer for couette flow question

1. What is couette flow?

Couette flow is a type of laminar flow in which a fluid is confined between two parallel plates and is driven by the relative motion of the plates.

2. What is the difference between couette flow and poiseuille flow?

Couette flow involves the movement of the fluid between two parallel plates, while Poiseuille flow involves the movement of the fluid through a pipe with a varying cross-sectional area.

3. How is the velocity profile determined in couette flow?

The velocity profile in couette flow is determined by the no-slip condition, which states that the fluid at the walls of the plates has zero velocity, and the shear stress at the plates, which is proportional to the velocity gradient.

4. What are some real-life applications of couette flow?

Couette flow is commonly used in fluid mechanics experiments and simulations, as well as in industrial processes such as mixing, coating, and lubrication.

5. Can couette flow become turbulent?

No, couette flow is a type of laminar flow and does not exhibit turbulence. However, it can transition to turbulence if the velocity or the distance between the plates is increased beyond a certain threshold.