I have a question about HA, VA and minimum points

However, if you take the limit of the function as x approaches infinity, you get xex/x=ex, which approaches infinity as x approaches infinity, which means there is no horizontal asymptote.
Roni1985

Homework Statement

For the function h(x)=[tex]\frac{x^2*e^x}{x}[/tex] , which of the following are true about the graph of y=h(x)?

I. The graph has a vertical asymptote at x=0
II. The graph has a horizontal asymptote at y=0
III. The graph has a minimum point

Homework Equations

h(x)=[tex]\frac{x^2*e^x}{x}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

'I' is wrong because we can cancel X in the denominator and it becomes a hole (or I am wrong?), so its not an asymptote.

For 'II', I tried different ways.
My first way was putting 'lan' on each side, and trying to find the limit of that function when x goes to infinite.

For the third one, when I take the derivative, I get X=-1 when the derivative is equal to 0 and a critical point at X=0...
But I am getting a max point and not a min point.

Plus, according to my answers, 'II' and 'III' are correct.

The thing is that I haven't took cal I since the 10th grade and now I am tutoring cal I at my college, so, I need to refresh the very basic things (even though it doesn't look very basic)
Also, this question allows using a calculator, but I want to know how to solve it without.

P.S: I posted it in precal, but I think its more cal than precal.

Thanks,
Roni

Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct for I being wrong. I also believe II is wrong as xex=0 can be solved to give a real value for x.EDIT: plotted the wrong graph :redface: ignore my post please. :)

Last edited:
2 and 3 are indeed correct. X=-1 is a minimum. You can prove 2 by taking the limit as x goes to -infinity, and using lhospital's rule

This problem has already been discussed and solve https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=342328", as the original poster made a double post.

I'm also not really for sure what rock.freak667 meant by solving xex=0 for number II, because it's asking for a horizontal asymptote.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I have a question about HA, VA and minimum points

1. What do the terms HA, VA, and minimum points mean?

HA stands for Horizontal Alignment, VA stands for Vertical Alignment, and minimum points refer to the minimum number of data points required to accurately represent a trend or pattern.

2. How do HA and VA affect data analysis?

HA and VA are important factors in data analysis because they determine the positioning and alignment of data points, which can impact the interpretation and accuracy of the data.

3. What is the significance of minimum points in data analysis?

Minimum points help ensure that the data being analyzed is representative of the overall trend or pattern. Without enough data points, the results may not be reliable or accurate.

4. How do I determine the appropriate minimum points for my data analysis?

The appropriate minimum points for data analysis will vary depending on the specific data and the desired level of accuracy. Generally, it is recommended to have at least 10 data points for basic analysis and a larger number for more complex analysis.

5. Can HA, VA, and minimum points be adjusted after data analysis has been completed?

Yes, HA and VA can be adjusted to improve the alignment and accuracy of data points. However, the minimum points should not be changed as it can significantly alter the results of the data analysis.